Unit's voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit's voices

Heh heh. I dig this game so much I've spent a good while just listening to the voice-audio files for the units. I've taken a bit of Japanese, and it's neat being able to understand a lot of what's said

So I got to wondering what dialects the sound guys picked to do each voices. The American unit does the general sort of Midwestern/Californian "accentless" media-American-English. I don't really know enough about English-from-England to place the English unit's English, though I'm pretty sure the accent isn't from Wales, Scotland, or Ireland. The Japanese I figure is the "Standard" Tokyo dialect, because it sounds like the Japanese they tried to teach us in class, and by the same reasoning I'm guessing the French is the Parisien variety (three years of French in High School).

The Chinese is Mandarin, the German is German, and the Russian is Russian, but I haven't heard enough of those to know regional differences. Same with the Spanish, which I'm guessing is a Spanish-from-Spain dialect, but I can't really say. Some sort of Latin for the Romans...Vulgar? Classical?

Arabic for the Arabians, Farsi for the Persians, Mongolian for the Mongolians, Nahuatl for the Aztec and Quechua for the Inca: these I'm just assuming because it's what I've read these people speak. Pretty minimal personal experience with these.

The Egyptian units speak...Coptic? Egyptian Arabic? Archaic Egyptian?

And then the Malinese and the Indians have me REALLY stumped. Ethnically diverse areas with lots of languages, none of which I've had the experience of hearing a lot.

Anyone out there know more?

This is a neat feature. My wife speaks Chinese -- I'll have to play the Chinese tonight and see what she thinks of the quality.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

The Russian voice quality is great, definitely recorded by genuine Russian speakers.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The romans do speak latin (don't think you can tell if it's classical or not from those minimal phrases). The greeks speak modern greek not archaic... Atleast I think so...
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Indian units speak some sort of garbled Hindi. I can make out the latter part of what they say, but not the former. I'm sure it's Hindi too, I just can't hear it very well.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
          X