Interface question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface question

When you are on the Domestic Advisor screen, it seems like you should be able to click a city, or click what it is producing and be taken to that city, or to its build queue. That doesnt seem to be the case though. Isnt that a step down in functionality from Civ3?

Also, the text events in the upper left of the map...enemies are sighted wherever, that kind of thing. It seems like sometimes I can click that and be taken to the spot, other times, nothing happens. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

TIA
    olaf

Yip, just posted a similar comment, in that a lot of the functionality that Civ3 had has just been missed out, like drilling down into cities from the city overview summary.

With the events shown on the right, the other i have found is it will only show the last 3-4 events, and you actually have to open the event log to view all the events for that turn, and it can be so easy to miss something ... also when you open up the event log it is such a small window? ... just seems so unpolished, little dispointed myself

Comment

Re: Interface question

Originally posted by olaf
      When you are on the Domestic Advisor screen, it seems like you should be able to click a city, or click what it is producing and be taken to that city, or to its build queue. That doesnt seem to be the case though. Isnt that a step down in functionality from Civ3?
      I believe (not positive, I didn't really look at it at the time) that when you click on a city in that screen the build queue appears at the bottom of the screen, like when you click the city name from the main map. I agree, there should be more feedback to let you know what's going on...that seems to be a weakness throughout the interface design. I get the feeling I'm going to find it a very convenient interface once I learn all the conventions, but it isn't the most transparent when you first look at it.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by work2much
        Yip, just posted a similar comment, in that a lot of the functionality that Civ3 had has just been missed out, like drilling down into cities from the city overview summary.

With the events shown on the right, the other i have found is it will only show the last 3-4 events, and you actually have to open the event log to view all the events for that turn, and it can be so easy to miss something ... also when you open up the event log it is such a small window? ... just seems so unpolished, little dispointed myself
        Where is the other thread? I missed it.

Also, how do you open the event log? I dont see that command anywhere on the cardboard foldout thingy.

TIA
        olaf

Comment

It's the icon in the top left between your gold reserves and the science/cultures percentages.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly about the fact that you should be able to click on a city name in the City List Screen and be taken to that city. Just opening the build queue isn't enough.

The major reason for this is that, even with the fewer cities that Civ IV causes you to build, it's still a pain sometimes to remember where each city is on the map when you need to find it.

On a related note, what happens when I want to send a unit to a specific city? Where's the Goto City option from Civ III?
            The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Right clicking will take you to that city.

Left clicking opens the production bar at the bottom of the screen (I believe).

Comment

Ah. I didn't know about the right clicking. Thanks for that information.

Still, I miss the "goto city" command for the units.
                The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Working...
                X