Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've owned every version of Civ ever released - but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've owned every version of Civ ever released - but...

Alright. This is it.

I have owned every version of Civ ever released. It started on the Amiga with Civ1. Then, I got Civ for Windows - still have the CD right here. Then Civ2 - perhaps my favorite still, because it was a quantum leap forward, and perhaps just nostalgia. I even bought Civ2, Test of Time - I know, one of the few. Then, Civ3. And then PTW. And then Conquests - all on my shelf.

Now Civ4 joins them.

It will be the last one I buy, site unseen.

I have simply had it with the constant crashing. Constant. Crashing. This is an unpardonable release. Mind you, if I was running marginal hardware, I'd understand glitches. Sure, a GeForce 2MX would be hard pressed to run this game on a 256MB machine with a 1.5Ghz P4. But I don't have that. I have what still is a pretty first rate computer - dual MP 3k athlons, 5900XT video, 1GB of RAM, etc.

It seems clear to me that with the extent of the problems people are having with this game, that someone either DID know, or SHOULD have known how broken it was, and shipping it in this condition so we could all beta test for $50 really stinks.

And this brings me to another issue - since when did Civilization get so damn graphically oriented that people are worried about upgrading their graphics card? If you are having to do that for Civ, then something isn't right - namely the design priorities. Civ is game first, fancypants graphics second (or third). When did this become Rise of Nations or another RTS that needs zoom-in combat footage? Mind you, if it works okay, then there'd be no problem with it. But there clearly IS a problem, with numerous people with numerous different cards. ATI, Nvidia, doesn't matter, there are people all over who cannot play this game.

And unless the game retailer wants to wait for me to patch my check before getting paid, I don't think we should have to wait for a patch to get what we paid for.

Damn, I'm pissed. Hard lock, blue screen, blue screen, hard lock - it's just a joke.

I am extremely disappointed - and it's for all the wrong reasons! Somewhere behind the crashing, not-ready-for-prime-time gltichy graphics engine is a very good game wanting to be played. I remember when Civ3 came out, and people were disappointed - because this changed, or that changed, or there were minor gameplay bugs. But nothing like this.

Next time... for Civ5, there will be a healthy pause between release and my consideration for purchase. This is a bridgeburner for me.

Venger - for whom the buggy Civ4 has damanged love for Civ far more than Battleship loses to Phalanx ever did...
Working...
X