No announcement yet.

Why do I *have* to do what the UN says?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I *have* to do what the UN says?

I did a bit of looking around, and I don't know if this is a bug or a very weird game design decision bordering on the absurd.

It appears in a game that I am in I *have* to follow the dictates of the UN. I can find no way of leaving the UN, that is if I choose not to be involved with it at all. If the UN says you have to behave a certain way, it appears you have to. If the UN says you can't build nukes, you can't. I would much perfer the option of ignoring the UN even it it put me at war with everyone else.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Errr because that's how the game rules are set up, nothing more to it than that I'm afraid.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I thought this would be a problem from the begining. Of course, the real problems is that there really aren't any actual downsides to any of the resolutions.

Who wouldn't want more trade? Or more money? I don't understand why they're all good things.

And in any case you should be able to give the UN the finger.
      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
        Who wouldn't want more trade? Or more money? I don't understand why they're all good things.
        I might want more money and trade, but in my last game (for example) it would have helped the AIs a lot more than it would have helped me...that's the downside, that it applies to everybody.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

As well, a good amount of the UN resolutions are ones that enforce the traditional democratic civics. Obviously, a warfaring civ would not to be forced to become democratic in the middle of war and such.
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I've been thoroughly unimpressed by the UN in CIV, which is a shame since when I saw that it would have global proposals I immediately thought of the fun I had with the Planetary Council in SMAC! Granted, a lot of the stuff available in SMAC wouldn't make sense in CIV (*cough* launch solar shade?), but the global civics options have passed every time I've seen them brought up in my half dozen games ranging from Settler to Deity. Homogenizing the world's civics is pretty... boring.

I'd like to have the option to oppose the UN, even if it means that a new proposal suggesting sanctions against me would come up. By god, I want my 20th century Police State Theocracy!

My next approach is going to involve letting somebody else build it, then capturing the host city and razing it to the ground. Propose THAT.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it just smacks of bad game design.
              It also seems way toooo politically correct / big brother'ish. You are forced to join an organization that you don't like and you have to abide by their dictates. What if you want to play a game to see how Nukes actually work? For example, lets force Red China to become Democratic, have open religions and freedom of speech. Yep, that would fly... real well.

Sid once said that fun was making interesting decisions, well the UN, as it is implemented, removes a lot of decisions from the game and doesn't really add much. Often I want to try to get a specific victory via a specific path, just to see if I can do it. With the UN "wonder" it prevents me from trying some of the paths. Perhaps they can put in an "oil scandal" wonder to get out of the UN in a future patch?

Since modding the game was supposed to be a selling point, I wonder if we can remove the UN "wonder" from the game?

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Errr because that's how the game rules are set up, nothing more to it than that I'm afraid.
                Poorly set up if you have no choice, no?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lineatus
                  Since modding the game was supposed to be a selling point, I wonder if we can remove the UN "wonder" from the game?
                  The UN shouldn't be removed, just ... modded. The choices as of now are boring, I have to admit. We should have more, and more interesting resolutions to choose from. Options like "trade embargo against ..." and similar ones would make the game more interesting.

Ignoring UN resolutions should be also possible, even though with serious political consequencies (-3: You ignored a UN resolution).
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

So, who'll mod Tiberius' ideas in the game?
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Lineatus
                      Well... you need it in there for the diplomatic victory, of course. If that's a non-issue for you, though, I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to just "turn off" the UN as a buildable wonder. Frankly, though, what I'd like to see is simply a tweak of the UN, with different proposals which, you know, don't spoil the game for me.

I mentioned sanctions before - why not offer a sanction or embargo option against warlike civs (however that would be defined for this purpose)? That's the entire point of the actual UN - to avoid bloodshed. And if you refuse to go along, you could be subject to the same or a similar embargo/sanction.

How about launching an orbital research station? Might cost every civ, let's say, 1000 gold (or some amount), and grant a bonus to research. If you dissent on that one, there's no reason for a penalty beyond disallowing you the bonus (and presumably enough civs would have to agree in order to actually get the project off the ground). Plus, if that one passes, maybe there could be a neat little graphic if you zoom out to the Earth view.

And what about a solar satellite network? If it passes, then every city counts as "powered", no matter where they are. There'd probably have to be a cost on this one as well, or the agreeing civs would have to have the necessary resources, or something like that.

I guess what I'd really like to see is the UN acting as a supranational body for the purposes of cooperation, not a fascist big brother who enforces the results of democratic votes. Maybe that's a tad too complex, though.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                        lots of people have ideas, but no one wants to do the work
                        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          Is that level even exposed before the SDK comes out?
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

dp
                            --George Bernard Shaw
                            --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                              lots of people have ideas, but no one wants to do the work

Originally posted by Byelotsar
                              I guess what I'd really like to see is the UN acting as a supranational body for the purposes of cooperation, not a fascist big brother who enforces the results of democratic votes. Maybe that's a tad too complex, though.
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X