Marines- are they good in Civ 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOH RAH!!!!
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
      OOH RAH!!!!

So... did you use them yet? What are your initial thoughts?

DeepO

Comment

Don't have the game yet. Grrr.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

MUST... HAVE... THE PRECIOUS!

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I feel your pain, Theseus. UPS is supposed to deliver today!!! But alas, they have less than 2 hours before their day is over, and still no CIV.

Good to see infinite rails gone, though... I thought that was a little powerful to begin with. I used to be able to take several groups of Marines and waltz through enemy Civs via the friendly rails.

I loved my Marines. I just hope they didn't get nerfed in CIV. I am happy to see that they are back!

Comment

They hardly seem nerfed to me. Their base strength is higher than infantry, they get amphibious for free, and they get a huge bonus against artillery (so it's hard for artillery to cause collateral damage against the rest of the stack). Mech infantry is better than they are overall, but come much later, and marines are still better for forcing river crossings and attacking straight off the boats.
              Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Marines is supposed to be a elite force of infantry with the task to do things that normal infantry aren´t trained for. Why should they be weaker than infantry?
                If ten thousand of your men die in front of the walls of an enemy city, order the other ten thousands men to climb their bodies and attack the city.

Comment

Marines are pretty strong in this one, I'm impressed! If used properly, they can beat up units something fierce. A promotion or 2 doesn't hurt either...

Comment

I've been using them to crack machinegun defended cities.

Remind me not to gift chemistry to backwards civs I'm about to invade...
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Ironically enough, the hardest thing for me to counter so far have been the raging barbarian hordes! Those little so-and-sos have a city or two somewhere on the map this game... and they are causing me utter aggravation! If only I could find their city... I would send in the Marines! (actually... at this point in time, a few swordsman units will have to work... )

The ferocity of the barbarians have really stepped up from previous versions of Civ. They've actually worn my defenses down with constant waves of units and have taken one city which I captured back on the next turn, then took another city of mine and razed it!! That floored me right there when I sent up a couple of units to take back the city only to find a pile of smoking rubble....

Comment

Well, at least the road to the pile of smoking rubble was intact! These barbarians are so kind!
                        If ten thousand of your men die in front of the walls of an enemy city, order the other ten thousands men to climb their bodies and attack the city.

Comment

Working...
                        X