No Random Maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Random Maps?

I was playing a new custom game today and I noticed the map looked really similar to another one I played on. I didn't like the map anyway so I started a new one, and it also looked like a map I started then quit. I started cycling through maps and noticed a lot of repeat maps.

Okay maybe this has been covered before, I haven't had much time to cruise the forums (been too busy playin after all) but ... are there just preset maps? Is there no random map generation when you play quick games??

I don't think I'm insane. I know for a fact I've seen these maps before.

"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
    -Democritus of Abdera

Using Play Now, I noticed this too!
    Fordfanboi
    Click HERE to see my '66 Mustang Coupe-Vertible project

Comment

Use Fractal. IIRC, that is the new random map.

Though it would be good if someone could comfirm this...
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Use custom game setup.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have experienced this myself now and then. Sometimes the random map thing seem to get stuck on just one map when I try continents type.

The fix that seem to work for me is opening up the CivilizationIV.ini file and finding the line
          ; Random seed for map generation, or '0' for default
          MapRandSeed = 0
          Then replacing the 0 there with a new 0.

It's very strange since the line never change to a 1,it just seem to get stuck somehow on same map although its still a 0 in the line. However replacing it with just another 0 does fix it for me. Then when I restart it's all random again.

Comment

There may be an issue with something causing the "chain" of random map seeds to reset. I have no idea what is going on with that but it has been reported.

This is an issue with random number generator, not the map creation process. More info can be found here:

I'm not certain if this is a bug. In fact, I may just be failing to do something correctly here, but... I've now attempted to load a custom, standard, continental, temperate, average sea level world 7 times now. Every time I get exactly the same map. There isn't a place to pick a random...

If you read down the page, where I began to post, you can see my test results and comments.

- Sirian

Comment

I'm just happy I'm not crazy
              "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
              -Democritus of Abdera

Comment

I'm curious as to what causes this issue. This hasn't happened to me at all. For those of you having this issue are you usually selecting the Play Now option? I never use that option....
                "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                  Use Fractal. IIRC, that is the new random map.

Though it would be good if someone could comfirm this...
                  I've never seen Fractal anywhere. Where is it?

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    I've never seen Fractal anywhere. Where is it?
                    Fractal = Continents. (Same script, simpler name.)

- Sirian

By the way... Anybody still having problems with maps repeating in v1.09?

Comment

Working...
                    X