Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found Memory Leak & Sound Problem with game and fixed it so far!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Memory Leak & Sound Problem with game and fixed it so far!

Okay...

1st Delete the Civ4 Cache before every game!

2nd Set your Vitural Memory to 2.5x Ram = 1Gig = 2500

Min 2500
    Max 2500

Then it should ask you to reboot once you set this and apply it!

Next load up game and do Advance Options Set to Sysconfig or EAX4 if you have Audigy Sound Cards! (This part Im NOT sure if it had anything to do with it so far!)

Then you will need to exit the game and reload it for new Advanced settings to take place.

Once you play a game for example for testing on my part I loaded the Earth1000AD and did my test that crashed me 100% of time and did it 2-3 times and never crashed me no matter what I did for as long as I scrolled around on the mini-map this time.

***Once I hit ESC then exist to Main Menu it freezes for a second and then pops down to Main Menu with a screen saying Sound Device for recording or something like that isnt found so its disabled???*** (I think this may have something to do with the crashes from the Civ4 Program?? Only was able to find this once I set the Virtual Memory to 2.5x Ram.)

**I also Uninstalled 5.10 ATI Drivers & installed Omega ATI latest Drivers[Much better drivers]**

2.4GHZ P-VI
    256M Radion 9550
    1 Gig Ram PC3200
    OEM SB Audigy

All latest drivers for all devices.

So far so good.

PS2.. I also in the Config.INI ...

I set Cheatmode = Chipotle

Autosaves = 1

Civfreak1970

Hope this helps you all!
    Last edited by Civfreak1970; October 31, 2005, 04:32.

how does one delete the civ 4 cache before the game?

Comment

/%username%/Application Data/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/cache/
      Delete that folder ("cache"). Application Data is a hidden folder and you have to have view hidden folders set in your folder options to see it Alternately type into start->run the directory

If you have a standard installation it will be:
      C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\My Games\

Replace %username% (including the % signs) with your username that you log into the system with (you can find this out by going to my documents and looking at the path for my documents) and type that into start menu -> run.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

... only to tell for all sad ATI Users ... I as a Nvidia 9950 AGP Card User have also Problems with the game.
        (P IV 3.0 Ghz, Intel Mainboard, 1 GB HT DDR Ram etc.)

Even I could play for 1 to 2 hours with some freezes, which always continues after same 1-2 minutes.

I also have done all tips here ...
        low, medium and high config -> NO DIFFERENCE in performance
        New drivers, high swap file, deleting cache etc.
        killing all unneeded processes before playing

NO DIFFERENCE
        AFTER some time and the progress of the games ... game getting VERY SLOW and I HAVE TO REBOOT the computer or it freezes ...
        special when MAP VIEW changes between UNITS from one part of the map to the other ... that's it (but only after 1-2 hours play)
        If I relode changing view works fine for the next hours ...

SO IT IS FOR SURE CRAPPY PROGRAMMING as the game f%$%§$%% up the memory

So we have to wait ...

PS: Okay playing 18player worldmap !

Comment

Have you tried updating your motherboard drivers/bios, and your sound card drivers?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sorry all the Config.INI should have read Cheatmode = Chipotle (Very sry for the spelling mistake!)

It seems to be better now..Yet it is badly programmed around the memory/Cpu usage! Im sure I'll crash again sometime when I have time to stress it more than I have of late!

Anyways what I have posted above does seem to make things better if you have all drivers up to date! This game seriously needs a patch! I never had any problems until Civ4 and it being so flakey!

Civfreak1970

Comment

Please everyone who has a ATI card let me know if this helps? Also Nvidia Im sry I have a second computer running a 5200FX and it runs a bit choppy but installed easy and plays so far good! (Havent tested the other computer that much but my 12 Year old did some playing with it and no crashes!)

Civfreak1970

Comment

One last thing! Make sure you always kill the Cache file folder before you start a game just incase!!!

Civfreak1970

Comment

The game needs a patch for a memory leak. All one could do with what is mentioned is perhaps apply a bandage to it. Sooner or later, the game is going to use more memory than it should, and probably a patch is needed.

I played further on a Tiny World with only 3 players so far, but anything larger, and the game will use up memory faster, and 557mB Peak in the game in the year 2750B.C. like my first Standard Map Epic game with only 5 total players, seems to be excessive, and the game started getting laggy and before it may crash, I just saved the game and exited the game.

Comment

System Specs!

Hi,

I was wondering if you could list your system specs and if a decive is onboard or not? Also Ram amount and Video card Ram amount? thank you!

Civfreak1970

Comment

what does "Cheatmode=Chipotle" do?
                      What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Franklinnoble
                        what does "Cheatmode=Chipotle" do?
                        From another thread:

Originally posted by Gramphos
                        cheat mode. Makes some more functions in the worldbuilder possible.
                        Originally posted by Civfreak1970
                        The reason I enabled it is because it lets the world scroll properly instead of locking sections out! This I believe also added to the bugs in it crashing to desktop!

Civfreak1970
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

CRC.dat is espescially needed in that cache.

Those files Listed I think are data for the current game you are playing, as in seeding of the planet and all of that data when first starting a new game.

The game has a few issues and plays fine up to a certain point.

The movie (*.bik) files do not play correctly with the sound, and of course some other bugs related to the game.

Pirates! has the same kind of setup and is almost identical, and Pirates! plays fine out of the box!

Except Pirates! does not have a cache but Civ IV is a much bigger game with the exectuable of the game (CivIV.exe) file.

So yes there are some files probably needed for Civ IV, but the game needs a patch!

FX 5200 Geforce with 78.01 drivers
                          1.8gHz Celeron
                          512 mB memory with 2048mB Virtual Memory
                          Windows 2K Professional
                          Live! sound card

And all other games play fine even as far back as the 56.72 drivers from Nvidia!

Except the newest drivers from Nvidia support OpenGL 2.0 and Direct X 9.0c version better, but then like I said the 56.72 drivers even worked with Direct X 9.0c.

It is the game of Civ IV that is not working correctly with the *.bik files and also some other issues and needs a patch!

Comment

I agree it needs a patch and for someone from their stupid company to say its making a patch!!!

Civfreak1970

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              /%username%/Application Data/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/cache/
                              Delete that folder ("cache"). Application Data is a hidden folder and you have to have view hidden folders set in your folder options to see it Alternately type into start->run the directory

If you have a standard installation it will be:
                              C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\My Games\

Replace %username% (including the % signs) with your username that you log into the system with (you can find this out by going to my documents and looking at the path for my documents) and type that into start menu -> run.

How do I find it if I installed it under D: ?

Comment

Working...
                              X