Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert and tundra without resources

Do these lands ever become productive?

I have desert in my city radius and so far, I'm in the industrial era and can't seem to get anything out of it.

I know in the other civs you could eventually make the lands somewhat useful.

The only thing I've been able to do with these lands is put a fort on them. In the four games I've played so far they have never become of any use unless a researched resource magically appears on it.

Comment

Desert is generally useless. Tundra sometimes has a river running through it, if you put watermills around it, you may have a small but productive city.

Desert with floodplains is great, though. Without, it can only be valuable if Oil turns out to be there.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

In Civ IV, don't bother establishing a city that would be almost entirely desert [unless there's enough flood plains / oasis to counter]

Instead, have the nearest city(ies) to that region concentrate on culture so it can take in any resources that appear in those otherwise unproductive regions.

This is in sharp contrast to Civ III where deserts bloomed when rails became adviable.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Put a city on a desert tile. It will give you 2 food & a hammer like all other cities do.

Comment

Tundra with adjacent River lets you put farms there
            (but you cannot irrigate tundra tiles which are adjacent to a tile with a farm on it, not even with bureaucracy)

Used this to provide food for a city in otherwise uninhabitable regions (mostly ice and tundra) which was just built to get some resources within its expanding city radii and to have less regions where barbarians could spawn
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
              Tundra with adjacent River lets you put farms there
              (but you cannot irrigate tundra tiles which are adjacent to a tile with a farm on it, not even with bureaucracy)
              Yes! Now I understand what I was seeing yesterday. Tundra next to fresh water produce 1 food or 2 food with farms. But tundra beyond that (next to farmed tundra, but not next to fresh water, and with Civil Service tech) cannot be farmed.

I was getting aggrivated trying to figure out how it decided if a tile could be farmed or not. It's becoming clearer now. Maybe I should read the manual

Comment

Working...
              X