Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I may have accidentally screwed up big time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry. The behavior you're describing is perfectly normal. When you uninstalled the ATI drivers, on the next reboot, XP is detecting hardware for which there are no drivers installed (because you uninstalled them).

All you have to do is ignore the dialog that's asking you for the drivers (in fact I usually just hit cancel). Then download and install the latest ATI drivers. Once you do this, everything will be back to normal!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by nhall70
      Don't worry. The behavior you're describing is perfectly normal. When you uninstalled the ATI drivers, on the next reboot, XP is detecting hardware for which there are no drivers installed (because you uninstalled them).

All you have to do is ignore the dialog that's asking you for the drivers (in fact I usually just hit cancel). Then download and install the latest ATI drivers. Once you do this, everything will be back to normal!

Cheers.
      Which driver would that be? I need more specifics- like a specific link or specific download site (step through step). Its because I do not know what ATI driver I could use to replace the ones that were un-installed.

Keep in mind my laptop has Mobility Radeon 9000, and I don't think Desktop Radeon 9000 drivers will work with my laptop one.
      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Some good news.

I tried a system restore, and by extreme luck, the System Restore Checkpoint was set for this past Friday. So I only had to "revert" 2 days instead of to the very beginning.

I did the system restore, and lo-and-behold, the N/A on my Display info in Dxdiag reverted to having my ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 video card.

The internet and window scrolling speeds are back to normal. Which means my video drivers returned to normal. Whew!!!!

Now what I'm faced with is I need to figure out what or where to go from this point. I downloaded the Omega Drivers, but haven't tried them yet. I also still have the ATI Catalyst 5.10 executable still on my computer ready for installation.

Which should I try- the Omega drivers or the ATI Catalyst 5.10? (and *not* use the ATI uninstaller as that was the reason why my computer was screwed up today)
        Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Try the Omega drivers. You may have to use the ATI uninstaller, though... just skip through the hardware installer and run the omega installer after rebooting post-uninstall, it should work fine or at least has for dozens of other people on this site
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The system restore removed Civ 4 and the DirectX 9.0c upgrade from my computer, as I installed Civ 4 yesterday and the restore checkpoint was on the day before yesterday.

So on a hunch, I thought I'd install the Omega driver, so I did that, then restarted after it installed. After my computer restarted, my screen resolution went from 800 x 600 to something like 1400 x 1000. I reverted my screen resolution to 800 x 600.

I installed Civ 4 again. However, the DirectX 9.0c did install from the CD as before, but this time I restarted the computer immediately after the successful DirectX 9.0c install. After my computer restarted, I went and finished the installation process- installed Civ 4 itself back onto my hard drive.

This time I did not use the PAK fix.

I entered the Civ 4 game, looked OK. Then got to the main menu and I was pleasantly surprised.

My first problem, the flickering cursor was solved!

Then on another hunch, I went to Civilopedia on the main menu to check for the Chesire Cat Syndrome. I was once again pleasantly surprised to see the leaders grin and bow and whatever in their *FULL* person. No Chesire Cat whatsoever.

Problem 2 solved.

On my excitement, I went to Single Player, then started Custom Game. I selected Chinese civilization, Mao Zedong as the leader, then did the options. I chose the following...

9 Rival Civilizations
            Huge World
            Sea Level Low
            Custom Contient World (6 Continents)

Disabled all Victory conditions except Conquest.

I hit LAUNCH, and waited a minute or two. I was hoping that my computer didn't hard freeze once the game finished launching (Green bar going DONE then freeze).

The cursor kept spinning after the green bar hit DONE, and then suddenly, I see "Start". I was like OMG!

Then I hit the "Start" and lo-and-behold, my first Civ 4 game ever at 4000 BC!

The terrain looks perfect. However I noticed that the terrain DOES NOT turn white like with some other people who tried the Omega Driver method.

So I'll be able to Civ 4 away starting tomorrow!

I want to thank Snoopy for his patience and support for me with this whole thing. I would also like to thank all the other 'Poly guys who gave me suggestions, advice, and insights.

Snoopy, whenever you come by Boston, drinks and dinner is on me.

Comment

Excellent I'm really just repeating others' advice in other threads though, so I can't take full credit. Glad it worked though, hope it continues to do so

And make that diet cokes Come see us at ApolyCon 2006 ...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hi there,

It works with my laptop RADEON 9200 !!!!!!!!! I've installed the Service Pack 2, and Omega Drivers... and it seems to work fine !!!!
                Thank you to all who gave me some tips...

Comment

Working...
                X