A couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

Did naval blockades make it into the final version of the game? I can't find any reference to blockades in the Civilopedia, and there are no on-map trade routes.

So, can I cut a cities 'Trade Income' (auto-trade), or their resource trade routes, via naval power?

I was under the impression that roads/railroads only granted movement bonuses. But I discovered by accident that railroading a mine tile granted +1 shields. Some experimentation later, it appears that railroading lumber mills also grants +1 shields. I can't find a reference to railroads in the Civilopedia.

My question is, did I miss anything else that railroads modify? And, since I was wrong on railroads, am I wrong on roads? Maybe there's a specific terrain/improvement/resource combo where roads grant a bonus?

As an aside, I could be just blind, but it really feels to me like the Civilopedia is a major disappointment and a big step back from Civ3's. Not that it makes this a bad game, on the contrary if the thing that ticks me off most is the ingame help file, you know it's a great game!

Lastly, probably a bug or 'working as intended', but I lost all my meticulously labeled landmarks when I loaded my save this morning. I take it the map signs aren't meant to be saved over sessions? That makes me sad.

I agree that the pedia needs to be better. I went to look up bombers in the units, and it was listed as an air unit, but was on the screen that lists all the units.

Anyway, back to one of your questions, I did see something about naval blockades using ships in the pedia I think.

Understandable that you couldn't find it though.

If I find it again, I will come back to tell you where it is.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

First, the game is beautiful - {but} the Civilopedia does seem thinner than Civ3's.

Omigod, I'm taking a break from Civ4, drinking a beer, and I've forgotten what I wanted to say! Ock!

Oh, yes, I was disappointed to see that my custom names for military units is wiped away upon their promotion.

It is silly for me to talk of disappointments when I think Civ4 is worthy of total immersion, worthy of shutting off the phone and ignoring messages from friends. But that's just me.
      XP SP2; 1280MB w/3200MB virtual memory
      AMD Athlon 1700+; 500W power, 2HD's
      Radeon 9600pro 256MB (Dec 2005 Catalyst)
      SoundBlaster X-Fi (8.8.05 driver)

Comment

I have found that when an enemy ship is within a city's radius, you can no longer work tiles adjacent to it. A barbarian galley just did this to one of my cities.

So that's something.

If I find one of my cities blockaded by the AI, I'll report back if it cuts my trade routes, too.

Comment

I have found that when an enemy ship is within a city's radius, you can no longer work tiles adjacent to it. A barbarian galley just did this to one of my cities.

If a city is pretty seafood dependent you can starve it down rather quickly but there is no real blokkades.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have a feeling that blockades are possible, but passive actions. Make a solid line of ships so that no sea route can be traced out of the city, and I expect that will be a blockade. However, that won't stop land trade routes.
            Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Working...
            X