Default Automate Worker is terrible :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Automate Worker is terrible :(

I get to the midgame, stuff is built up, I only have a few cities I want improved, so I set the workers on auto - and all they want to build is farms. This is really bad if you don't check 'don't destroy improvements', but even if not, they still seem to want to fill all the empty squares they possibly can with farms (and windmills on hills). Is there some way to tweak their behavior?

On a related note, is there some way to tell a city governor to NOT build settlers? I can't think of any situtation where I want the AI building settlers for me, and they waste a lot of time producing them.

I agree. Anyone?
    "What a Stupid Concept"

Comment

Don't know, I don't do automation. Since there's no ICS as we knew it, tis' better than either Civ2 or Civ3, but CtP-style PW (the best innovation in the whole game IMO) would be better.

Comment

I love automation. sure it has issues, but I'm a lazy mother****er and its vastly better than civ3's auto worker. it does do some strange things occassionally like work tiles that your city workers can't use.

Comment

Yea it's bad. I would like to see a "rebuild" option, because remembering all the pillaged squares during an extended war is a serious PITA. Also, it would be good to have them emphasize improvements based on your food/production/commerce emphasis in a given city. There are other fish to fry before the latter though I suppose.

Comment

My problem with automated works is that they end up "parking" in a city in the second half of the game. Not sure why. Is this intended behaviour or a bug?

Comment

Yeah, the "parking" problem stinks. Also, they seem to prioritize hooking up resources--even health resources that I already have several of, that are located on the other side of the continent, that several other workers are already heading towards--over improving the nearby tiles that can be done quickly. Inefficient!
              mmmmm...cabbage

Comment

I only use the auto connecting resources thing

Comment

Wierd.....

I have the same problem, but on my end all they want to build is cottages.

so I set the workers on auto - and all they want to build is farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Cabbagemeister
                    Yeah, the "parking" problem stinks. Also, they seem to prioritize hooking up resources--even health resources that I already have several of, that are located on the other side of the continent, that several other workers are already heading towards--over improving the nearby tiles that can be done quickly. Inefficient!
                    Well, you do have the 3 automation options
                    • connect trade/resources;
                    • generally improve terrain;
                    • improve nearest city.
                    So you can direct them where they are most needed

Comment

I'm glad it's not just me, then. Yes, there are different options, but the game doesn't tell you if it just "parks" a worker in a town. You have to manually checks for them, which defeats the purpose of automation a little. In fact, when you click him, he still seems busy "improving the city" (but isn't doing anything). I also noticed that automated workers seem very foused on food and will even tear down already existing commerce improvements.

Comment

Working...
                      X