Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting...

Is it me, or is there no way to do combined arms attacks? I figured that even though armies are gone, there'd be a way to join two units for an attack. But I cannot make it happen, which seems to me that we're back to one on one, my kungfu is more powerful than your kungfu...

And can you not bombard units? I am only up to catapults but they cannot target other units for bombardment - they can engage them in combat Civ1/2 style, but I thought we did away with that?

I had hoped that with the first strike and other options, that you could join say an archer and a swordsman and have them attack, the archer unleashing a volley followed by normal melee. Can this be done? It seems goofy that with mixed arms my only choice is to hurl single units at the opposition...

Am I not doing something right?

Venger

There's a bombard button for your artillery units. You don't have to target anything to use it - the button merely becomes available when you get in range of a target and it will auto-target the enemy stack when you click it.

It took me a while to realize that myself.

I imagine that if there's more than one available target you'll have to click again to pick which one, but I haven't been in that situation yet.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
      There's a bombard button for your artillery units. You don't have to target anything to use it - the button merely becomes available when you get in range of a target and it will auto-target the enemy stack when you click it.

It took me a while to realize that myself.

I imagine that if there's more than one available target you'll have to click again to pick which one, but I haven't been in that situation yet.
      woah... hold your horses.

You're saying it is possible to bombard units that are NOT in a CITY and without engaging in combat?

I've been unable to bombard anything besides City Cultural defenses. I've always been sacrificing my artillary units in the first round of attacks to "soften" up the other defenders so the rest of my guys have it easier. More often than not the artillary unit would not survive.

Comment

I've had the same experience as Matt, though I refuse to throw catapults at opposing units to waste them. I cannot bombard anything except for cities with catapults. Which makes them close to useless - not wholly, but close to...

Venger

Comment

And can you not bombard units? I am only up to catapults but they cannot target other units for bombardment - they can engage them in combat Civ1/2 style, but I thought we did away with that?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I use the "all units go" button and then the move button

I am guessing this would be considerded combinrd arms if you have different units in the stack

I had:

MA
            Tanks
            Seals

in a SOD
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
              I use the "all units go" button and then the move button

I am guessing this would be considerded combinrd arms if you have different units in the stack

I had:

MA
              Tanks
              Seals

in a SOD
              There is a option of "stacked combat". I think solver explained it as 'normal' combat but you basically send your stack against another stack and the computer matches up the fights. Best attacker vs best defender in each individual case.

All it does is take the guess work away from the player as to which units to send in first to receive the best results.

Comment

Yeah, with stack attack, you can select numerous units (like alt-click a tile), order them to attack a city and the computer will automatically attack with those of your units that have the best chance of winning.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                X