Black Shards over cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Shards over cities?

In addition to my frequent CTD and reboots I've now seen 2-3 times what I can only describe as black or gray "shards" emanating from my cities. Everything will be going along normally and then suddenly this black or gray mass of "shards" will appear to emanate from one of my cities. These "shards" tend to fill the entire screen and causes the game to crash if you scroll around overtop one for very long. If you scroll away from the city in question everything will return to normal but as soon as you scroll back to the city the shards will reappear. Has anyone seen anything like this yet?

This one happens to be gray but it's the same issue. Game runs fine until they appear...
    Attached Files

Comment

Same thing, only scrolled to the right more
      Attached Files

Comment

I got this same problem in Battlefield 2...and that was right after I overclocked my old Radeon 9600 and it was overheated. Looks to me like your video card is in need of replacement.

Comment

I have it happen too

Originally posted by evil_ryan
          Looks to me like your video card is in need of replacement.
          No way, thats just an evil thing to say! All of my other games ( HL 2, Doom 3, Battlefield 2) work fine, I don't understand why Civ 4 would be the one to overheat my Radeon 9600.

Anyone know if they are going to fix this in the patch? Anyone submit a bug report reporting this problem?

Comment

Hmm...well if your other games are fine then no, it's not an overheat / damage issue. To be honest, Civ4 has so many problems that the only thing we do know for sure is that Civ4 IS the cause of the problem you are having. That being said...I guess we need to wait for a patch. I myself am having massive slow downs (on my athlon 64 3800, Geforce 6800GT, 1gig ram machine). And the music wont play in game. =(

Comment

Same here, HL2, Doom 3, FEAR demo, Thief 3, Far Cry... they all work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_ryan
                To be honest, Civ4 has so many problems that the only thing we do know for sure is that Civ4 IS the cause of the problem you are having.
                Actually, the only thing you know is that you don't know the cause of the problem. I haven't seen any other reports of this problem, so I'd bet it's something unique to his setup.

That being said...I guess we need to wait for a patch. I myself am having massive slow downs (on my athlon 64 3800, Geforce 6800GT, 1gig ram machine). And the music wont play in game. =(
                Have you posted specifics about your situation? People here can help with a lot of problems if they have enough information

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th

Actually, the only thing you know is that you don't know the cause of the problem. I haven't seen any other reports of this problem, so I'd bet it's something unique to his setup.
                  I've seen quite many people having this kind of problems. I'm one of them. Not so extreme though, more like this:

I'm with
                  amd 3000xp
                  ati radeon 9800pro
                  1gb ram

Comment

The problems most users are experiencing with Civ4 are completely unique in the sense that they have never encountered them before (see references to users being able to run Quake4, Doom3, etc flawlessly).

As much as I hate to admit it, I'd say it's a problem with the game software without a doubt. This game has a memory leak as reported by many users in the "help" section. Just starting to notice that there are quite a few similar problems out there. This is a good thing that they are uniform problems though, because the developer will be able to muster out a uniform patch more quickly. This game was not properly q&a'd.

High end systems should cut through Civ4 without being phased, and they aren't.

Comment

Working...
                    X