What all effects starvation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all effects starvation?

I'm wondering what all effects starvation in the cities. I had a city that one turn was growing but the very next turn it went into starvation and nothing around the city had changed and I can't fathom why this happened. This was late in the game and the city was surrounded by 20 farms since all my money by then was coming in via other sources.

Global Warming?
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Did you have the governor set to "avoid growth"?

Comment

Negative health is almost certainly your culprit. A number of factors (including population, polluting buildings, and certain types of terrain) generate negative health that will decrease your population by cancelling out your food income (thus leading to a situation where the population starts to "starve").

You can improve your health through the construction of several improvements, some wonders, and many of the resources such as cows, pigs, fish, clams, etc.

If nothing changed around your city, you probably either cancelled a trade agreement that was supplying you with a +health resource, had a wonder supplying you with +health become obsolete or something like that, perhaps exacerbated by building something like a Forge or Factory that further reduces health.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
          Negative health is almost certainly your culprit. A number of factors (including population, polluting buildings, and certain types of terrain) generate negative health that will decrease your population by cancelling out your food income (thus leading to a situation where the population starts to "starve").

You can improve your health through the construction of several improvements, some wonders, and many of the resources such as cows, pigs, fish, clams, etc.

If nothing changed around your city, you probably either cancelled a trade agreement that was supplying you with a +health resource, had a wonder supplying you with +health become obsolete or something like that, perhaps exacerbated by building something like a Forge or Factory that further reduces health.
          I can say it was nothing like that. This city had been producing nothing but culture for many a turn and I had converted all the surrounding countryside to farm since I no longer needed the income from the hamlets and such. The city was happy happy happy and all wonders and city improvements and such had been past being built and only tech I was researching was future tech. I was just seeing how big I could make it grow. Other cities of mine had reached the max point and just stayed there without reverting back to starvation. Most of the time this wouldn't even be a problem becuase you'd have already won or lost the game but I was just messing around to see how far it would go. The only factor I can think that would affect it was that I finally got access to oil 1/2 way around the globe and maybe one of the city buildings started producing pollution or something becuase it now had oil, though none of my other growing or stagnant cities flipped to starvation.

Comment

Working...
          X