% of Military producing cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % of Military producing cities

I've found that I produce far fewer military units than all the AI players on Noble difficulty. I think this is because I tend to concentrate more on improving cities than building an awesome army, which is fine until someone declares war on me and takes me over.

What percentage of your cities are "military," meaning having a Barracks and constantly producing military units? I think the optimum % is around 35% (say, 2 out of 6), but I'm curious what others think.

I build in "levies". From time to time I'll tell all my cities to build one or two millitary units. This usually gives me enough units to hold of the AI and stop any invasion. I'm a builder though, so my army is mostly for defense.
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

I'll generally assign half my cities in the early game to be military pumps. Normally, those are the cities with plenty of high resource tiles (hills, forest). I occassionally use my other cities for military production, but they generally stick to building settlers/workers in the early game and transition to building improvements for research and culture and growing pop to become great people factories.

I didn't start playing the game that way other than designating worker/settler pumps (still stuck in Civ3 mode at first, heh), but I'm starting to realize that city specialization is really the way to go in far more than just my old lax Civ3 way.

Of course, I just mentioned the good old worker/settler pump strategy from Civ3, but of course that no longer works the way it used to... granaries seem to have COMPLETELY changed in early game function because of the frozen growth while building a settler or worker. I'm having to change a lot of old strategies I relied on a lot.

So many changes...
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

The more cities I build, I do it by 3rds

1/3 city improements
        1/3 miltary
        1/3 wonders big and small
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
        X