Getting Spock in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Spock in the Game

When I installed Civ4, it automatically came up in French (probably because I have a french windows). However, when I changed the language back to english, the narration by Leonard Nimoy were still replaced by the french translation... Anyone know how to change this?
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Nearly the same for me.
    I have installed it in german
    but later changed the language into english.

But the narrator still tells his stories in german.

The sounds are all as MP3s in CivIV\Assets\Sounds, so it may be possible to manually replace them.
    Problem is still that my Winzip complains that the 2 CAB-Files on the Civ IV-DVD which probably contain the files for Civ IV (data1.cab and data2.cab) have missing signature bytes (according to the MS CAB-Specification from 1998) and therefore refuses to open them
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The .cab file is an InstallShield .cab that can only be opened by special programmes. I used ZipScan (be sure to download the InstallShield .dll as specified in the Help file). I could open the cabs with this and all language sound files are included. You only have to find the english set, copy the files to your Civ4 dir and voilà...

The tallest trees from acorns grow...

Comment

Now that is an annoying "feature". The game doesn't believe that you really want to hear the english voices.

I think maybe in future they should employ a couple of people to test the game. They could call them "game testers". I think I will email this suggestion.

Comment

There were several hundred game testers of various sorts involved in testing this game. Sadly, due to our friend Bill Gates, there are thousands more configurations possible that might cause unforseeable bugs.

In this case, though, I think I recall seeing that you need to look around the .ini file and/or one of the XML files to fix this problem. (It also causes a problem with the XML parser, if you have english installed on a nonenglish windows, because of the decimal symbol difference...)
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Check your civilizationIV.ini file - see if this line is present, and how it is set:

; English(0),French(1),German(2),Italian(3),Spanish( 4) - Defaults to user-installed language
            Language = 0

Although I'm not sure if this will fix it ... if it is fixeable without a reinstall, this should.

It's possible the game tries to save a bit of HD space and doesn't install the additional language mp3's ... for the 99% of users who choose only one language and stick with it, it would be a waste of (roughly guessing here) hundreds of megabytes of space to install all languages. Just reinstall if you want to change the lang (and it's not possible via this .ini fix).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Sadly, due to our friend Bill Gates, there are thousands more configurations possible that might cause unforseeable bugs.
              I think it is the responsibility of the people programming the game, rather than Bill Gates.

edited
              Last edited by eggdisk; November 2, 2005, 10:39.

Comment

reinstall the game in english and change to french later. You will have english voices with french text

Comment

Same here but in spanish. Im kinda getting used to it, but i want Spock! ^^

There no "uninstall" button nor link
                  Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

I finally got around to reinstall the game. I chose English at the beginning of the setup, and now I can enjoy the Nimoy voice!
                    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Working...
                    X