Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade resources for something other than resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade resources for something other than resources?

Whenever I try to trade an extra resource, the other ruler's side goes basically blank except for their resources. There is no option to trade a resource for a tech, etc.. AI leaders can do this so I don't think it's intentional. Am I doing something wrong here?

AI leaders can't do this, either. You can't mix immediate things and per-turn things.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm pretty sure the AI offered me Silk and Gold for a tech.

Comment

It most definitely can not happen. If it did, then it's a bug. The AI should be able to offer you a tech and gold for a tech, but not Silk.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I wonder why this was changed. Does anybody know the rational for this?

It is rather annoying that you can't trade a tech for a resource.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Player abuse of the AI
            ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
              Player abuse of the AI
              they should build smarter AIs then and not just break gameplay.
              http://image.blobbynet.com/store/h4x0rzsmall.jpg

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it sounds.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogling
                  they should build smarter AIs then and not just break gameplay.
                  Ever try coding an AI?

Comment

Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
                    Player abuse of the AI
                    Was this something the beta testers discovered? Then Firaxis and the testers had no other better solutions around the problem. Or did Firaxis limit the ability before the beta testers too?

At any rate, couldn't you just trade tech for immediate gold then trade gold per turn for resource/luxury per turn?

I don't have the game yet.

Comment

Would it make since to trade something the AI will be able to use EVERY TURN for a "one-shot deal"? I don't think so. And, if this was allowed, then the player would only need to cancel the deal the next turn and you got a tech from the AI for free. See the complications?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew

Was this something the beta testers discovered? Then Firaxis and the testers had no other better solutions around the problem. Or did Firaxis limit the ability before the beta testers too?

At any rate, couldn't you just trade tech for immediate gold then trade gold per turn for resource/luxury per turn?

I don't have the game yet.
                        Gold per turn for a resource per turn would make since, but I can't say if that is in as I never tried it. I do not think it is there though.

Comment

Suffice it to say, this was not a balance problem discovered by the beta testers for CIV, it was a balance problem identified in Civ3 (and probably CivII and Civ, I just don't remember much about those games). I admit, I too railed against it during my first game. During my second game I just started buying the resources for GPT, and selling the techs for Lump Sums of Gold.
                          ---------------
                          Backpack
                          ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

Gold per turn for a resource per turn would make since, but I can't say if that is in as I never tried it. I do not think it is there though.

you can still trade resources for GPT (Gold Per Turn).
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Nailfoot
                              Would it make since to trade something the AI will be able to use EVERY TURN for a "one-shot deal"? I don't think so.
                              Wouldn't that depend on how desperate of a situation were in at the time?

And, if this was allowed, then the player would only need to cancel the deal the next turn and you got a tech from the AI for free. See the complications?
                              Couldn't that also risk bad relations for centuries with that Civ, ruin your reputation with other Civs for centuries or even risk war(s)? And why not let the higher risk=higher reward (per turn reward) dynamics come into play as in 200 gold today or 40 gold per turn over 20turns (perhaps higher or lower depending on the risk/relations/desperation)?

Likewise, I could see someone demanding tribute (including some tech) from an AI and then next turn attack them anyways (or the AI doing the same to a human).

But at any rate if the player can do this...
                              just started buying the resources for GPT, and selling the techs for Lump Sums of Gold.
                              Then I guess the long way is better than no way.

Comment

Working...
                              X