Comments - Roads / Hamlets / UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments - Roads / Hamlets / UI

Hey firstly great new version of CIV, couple of general thoughts/comments which would be interested in other peoples input:

Roads
    I like the change in CIV4 which no longer gives you a benefit for roads, as well as railroads now having limitations in movement, as previously you HAD to place a road on every tile, however now its optional .... but have found that i am still placing a road in every tile as for military operations / defense roads are critical, and having single paths to your cities is not a good for the defense of attack speeds of your units. And given roads are so quick and easy to build, i am still placing them everwhere.

Hamlets
    I find the auto-workers seem to have a strong preference for this in the early game, any reason why? as hamlets/villages/towns seem to make most sense to me more later in the game when they do have benefits. But earlier on finding i have a preference for farms? has anyone found a good mix? ... the good thing about CIV4 now is in CIV3,2,1 you always had a fixed rule of what to build, now you have to scratch your head and actually think and balance!

Terrain
    What happended to the Terrain type of grasslands with 1 resource? i liked having two versions of grasslands, 1 with 2f+ 0r, and then 2f+1r, as these were cool and helped shape were i placed cities .... anyone else miss this?

UI
    I really like the new map view, by far a massive improvement and the big feature for me of CIV4 vs 3,2,1. However was really disapointed with the city popup view, as where have all the citizens gone? It feels so dead now just with numbers and no line up of the roudy bounch, would be great to see this come back, as adds personality to your cities ... CIV4 definitly has the best map view, but would be good to bring back the CIV3 city view. I also find the other info views very 'boring' or 'dead', and some no benefit at all, kind of feels like these were thrown in at the last minute and is a shame after going to such an effort on the main screen these views are in some respects worse and more boring than Civ1, and would have been better just to use the CIV3 views if time was short.

Sounds
    Maybe just me, but gotta love the main start menu music, first game i can think of where i actually just want to listen to the main menu music! Would be great to have some more of that within the game.

Cheers for another good game guys!

I do not miss the bonus grasslands. There are now so many different resources, all with their own bonuses. BG was good visible by the AI, but the human player could not see them easily. So I prefer this new system.

Also remember that you now have hill with plains, grasslands, deserts, tundra etc. Quite a lot more than just hills.

Comment

I think a forest on a grassland now gives the 2food/1hammer that the old bonus grassland used to give. Of course the difference is that you can't farm/mine the grassforest and keep the production. Personally, I think this is a good change. The gobs of new resources floating around (now it's hard to found a city on a site WITHOUT resources!) take up the slack.
      mmmmm...cabbage

Comment

Working...
      X