Why Is It Running So Slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is It Running So Slow!

I finally get the game and once my game starts getting developed (met every civ) the game runs SLOW it take about 5 to 7 minutes to go from turn to turn!
    2.8C GHZ with Hyper Threading
    Intel Pentium 4 512MB (PC-2700 DDR)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5200
    Last edited by Theamazins989; October 29, 2005, 14:26.

Might help if you post some system specs...

Comment

Something strange there, as you should be fine on that setup. Couple of things to try:

What resolution you running the game at, try dropping it down. Also reduce the graphic settings to low etc; as mostly likely will be graphics issue, as your CPU sounds fine.

Is this a laptop? if so check your power management options to make sure it is not limiting power to your graphics card, also check your grahics card setting to make sure hardware accelaration is on to max etc.

Good luck!

Comment

The game doesnt let me get any lower resolution than 1032Xsomething forgot the exact numbers and for the graphics i tried setting it on low but nothing maybe an improvement of 30 seconds lol but nothing much more

Comment

Originally posted by Theamazins989
          The game doesnt let me get any lower resolution than 1032Xsomething forgot the exact numbers and for the graphics i tried setting it on low but nothing maybe an improvement of 30 seconds lol but nothing much more
          You can set the resolution manually, by going to:

C:\MyFiles\My Games\SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION 4\ and opening the CivilizationIV.ini with any text editor of your choice. There you can use any resolution of your choice.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Did you turn on anti-aliasing? That would choke your system.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Your computer is going to revolt unless you get it some more RAM soon. Minimum requirements for Civ4 is 256, recommended is 512, and since Windows itself eats up a chunk of RAM as does all the other programs you have in the background eats up RAM, you could use an upgrade.

And it's about time to start looking for a new video card, nothing fancy, even a 6200 or a x550 or ever a 9800pro would be a good upgrade, should be able to snag one of those for under $100.

Although I would try what the people ^^^ sugested and try it at 800x600 resolution and see if that is playable before spending any cash. Good luck.

Comment

What is "anti-aliasing"?
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Its what the popular movement against Jane and John Does is called, er wait...

Its an option for your video card to reduce jagged edges, or maybe thats ansitropic, I get them confused. Really its a small boost in image quality for a performance hit most of the time. I've never found it worth enabling and have it forced off by default. Should be in your video cards settings.
                  "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Thanks

Thnaks guys, well its still running slow but alittle faster the smaller the map so maybe it is the RAM i was thinking about getting more anyway. Now just gotta get the money!

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                      What is "anti-aliasing"?
                      This website is for sale! grafx-design.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, grafx-design.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Nice tutorial. Thank you.

I hunted around for that setting on my system and couldn't find it.

Probably won't be a problem considering that I have enough RAM.
                        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

IIRC the default setting is let to let the program decide (in this case Civ4), could be set to 2 x AA too though, which is enough in most cases.
                          The higher up the less usefull it becomes (and relatively more "expensive"), especially on higher resolutions.

BTW, there is a setting in Civ4 to change it ( 0 , 2 x and 4 x )

For slower cards it's certainly worth setting it to 0.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Are you playing MP3s ingame or using the default music? I'd try using the default and see if it changes anything.

Comment

Athlon 2800+ @ 2.2GHz (747 socket)
                              1GB RAM
                              9550 Radeon @ 322/530

even in 1024 all LOW no AA game still has 20FPS in normal view 38FPS at max zoom and 60 at max zoom out. After playing few hours on large map the games begins to jumps at moving from one point event to another... and then at modern era the game speed is so annoying .... and those crashes.... And to make things more interesting same FPS got at 1024 all high AAx4 :|

Comment

Working...
                              X