Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone paying attention to the serious GeForce Fx5xxx problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might add that my FX 5200 is a PCI card, and the game just plays horribly slow. Have to wait for it, but it does play. Just is very, very slow-motion.

Not sure if I understand whether he meant the file or a folder, in the previous post.

Reread it so I think I know what it means!

As far as I can tell, the game only changes resolution on the Main Menu Screen using the Advanced button and changing it there in the Options.

I did change to 1280 x 960, but I think I will go back to 1024 x 768 like last night when I ran the Tutorial and see if that helps the speed of the game.

Also if one clicks on a square and waits (while on a unit) then presses the GoTo button then the unit will start moving while only using the left mouse button. In the Tutorial it said to click the GoTo Button first (to move the unit ) but then one had to Right Click mouse button if it was more than one square away. One square away was done with the Left mouse button.

So to me, it is easier to (when on the unit to move) click on the square wait till it lights up with the path, and then click the GoTo button down below, since all moves will then be with the Left mouse clicking button.

But trivial it may be perhaps!

I think I will delete or move the CivIV.ini file first to see what happens and start the game, and incrementally try that other program then if nothing about the speed is solved. I just think it should not be playing that slow, and the game is very slow with the mouse overs popping up and anything. Slow-motion game right now!
    Last edited by Raion; October 29, 2005, 19:31.

Comment

I just ran the program and changed the shader setting. I didn't do any deleting of files, but got the same effect. I think the deleting thing was a mistake he made while troubleshooting.

Comment

Oh, and my fx5500 is AGP, and its the same thing.

Comment

Hey - Don't forget us poor shmucks who ran out and bought new Gefrorce 6xxx series card this week for the game. hehe.

Geforce 6200
          ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

Okay, moved the CivIV.ini file and it just made a new one, and went back to the original settings I had while playing the Tutorial. That is 1024 x 768 and "0" Antialiasing. It does play faster a little that way, so I have not tried anything else yet.

The movement went back to the way it was last night also, and that is more like clicking the GoTo button first and then right clicking on the square to GoTo with the unit. The other way did not seem to work anymore, and that was left clicking on the square then pressing the GoTo Button. I may be off on that though, and probably should play a few more turns first, but the game was a little quicker in response, so unless I can go to 800 x 600 mode in resolution (which I doubt since I think the lowest is 1024 x 768) just to try it, I will have to conclude that Recommended Specs are just too slow for this game, even though my video card could be updated and my computer, the game will be somewhat slow, unless it just needs a patch actually and I have to wait for Firaxis to sort things out with that!

It plays though, so no graphics problems yet, but then I only played about 3 turns on a normal epic game so far!

Play some more and see what happens. Still getting use to the game but the 'tips' while loading will help!

Comment

Update:

I tried the method I quoted above again, only this time I deleted my INI file (plus the backup) before making the shader setting changes. This gave me a huge performance increase, but the graphics still look like complete crap - even on the highest settings.

So this might be something to try, but do it at your own risk.

Comment

I Think I Fixed it!!

Sort of, at least in a roundabout way.

I downgraded my driver from 8185 to the previous set 7801. Now the lagginess appears to be mostly gone from the normal zoom, with all the settings set to high.

You guys should try it out and see if its a complete fix. I've only tried it on smaller maps, though since I don't have any saves with bigger ones. I also tried to load the earth map (standard), and it seemed OK, granted none of the map was explored yet. But it does seem to be much much better than before.

If I am correct, then it would appear that Firaxis neglected to test out the game using the latest drivers

Download the old drivers here:

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                  X