Civ IV ReBoots my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV ReBoots my system?

Hello, just trying to figure out why Civ 4 reboots my system at random times. Sometimes I get as far as choosing world parameters, sometimes I get as far as choosing which civilization I want to play as.

Now, I am foolishly using a S3 UniChrome graphic built-in to my system instead of a graphic card. However have never had any problem running other games before. (then again, haven't play too many new games either)

I have no problem purchasing a video card if that will solve the problem. Thing is, if my problem was caused by an insuficent video card, wouldn't the game just crash? The fact that it reboots the computer is quite odd.

Any thoughts? I have e-mail 2k games for help as well, but I assume that they won't be quick to respond since they are probably innudated with e-mails right now.

Thanks!

Well, although I was able to play a small world game yesterday, that's it got to play it once. Woo-Hoo!

Anyway, once in the game don't

1. Load a game.

2. Press F5.

3. ?

The F5 thing tells me and the small world tells me that some graphical commands are locking up the game WINDOWs interaction with the card.

Note, I can only run (if I'm very, very lucky) in windowed mode.

Now, how the eff do I turn off all the sounds. Tried different .ini settings, no luck.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I think you might have intended to post a new thread instead of replying. Either that, or I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Comment

@ 2manyusernames:

i have the same problem !. first i thought about a virus or something. i have a ati9800pro though with a AMD2200+. its real annoying to get a reset everytime. sometimes i can play for 30 min, somethimes less.

i really hope more people have this problem so that it might get fixed.

i really enjoy this serie, so.

Comment

Have same issue on my T42 laptop with ATI Mobility 9600. Thought it's because of overheating, but testing shows it's something different, heat has nothing to do with it.

Comment

hmm i switched off AA and AF filtering and playing now more then 90 minutes without crashes.
            not sure but i had this problem before with a other game so maybe this is the problem here as well.

EDIT:
            it seems that was not it . i got now two resets in 5 min.
            damn bad programming. i guess its hard to make something work hee....
            too bad, its a nice game concerning gameplay.
            Last edited by ikbenrichard; October 30, 2005, 09:50.

Comment

ati 9800pro
              1gig ram
              asus p4p800 /w pent 4 2.6ghz

I get the same reboots

Going to wait for my new system to arrive to try again....

Comment

same problem, sometimes I have a freeze where I only can reboot the machine manually or it reboots by itself and sometimes gives me an error message after reboot that my "device driver got stuck in an infinite loop".

AMD 64 3500+
                MSI K8T Neo2 (all bios updates & patches)
                1GB RAM
                ICEQ Radeon9800 Pro (catalyst 5.10)

lowering AGP speed and tweaking the settings just led me to extreme lag and black tiles in the game

sucks

Comment

Same prob for me.. i have radeon 9800xt
                  I think it will be fixed in the next patch *hope*

Comment

Same problem here, Radeon 9600, 2.7 MHZ 512 Ram.

Comment

Works beautifully in Fullscreen mode. If I play in Windowed mode I get the error described by others here. Blue Screen/Reboot at random intervals.

Intel 2.4GHz
                      MSI Neo FISR
                      1GB RAM
                      IceQ Radeon 9800 Pro

Interesting coincidence with Lost1 - not the cpu causing it for sure - either motherboard or gfx card is the cause I think.

Could others please post their system?

Comment

I have that problem also rad9800xt usually it goes for at least an hour sometimes it goes for 2-3 but usually it always ends up rebooting some time or another.

Comment

Seems this happens only with ATI cards. I have ATI X600 and my machine is rebooting randomly. Sometimes I can play for a couple of hours, sometimes computer reboots after couple of turns.
                          Didn't find a solution yet...
                          ---
                          Be well,
                          SA

Comment

This happens irregularly to me,

XP2500 Barton
                            1GB ram
                            9800pro 128mb ram
                            DFI Infinity II MB.
                            Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)

I have also rebuilt my machine with a clean install of XP SP2 and I still have these problems (rebuilt my machine because of a new HDD).

This happens at random intervals, one odd thing I have had it happen just after saving the game - it will always crash from that saved game on my machine. I can go to a previous saved game and sometimes it will work, others not.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a fix for this ASAP.

Comment

not just ati cards

i have an nvidia geforce 4 ti4400 and mine does the same as everyone else

Comment

Working...
                              X