Open Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Borders

I have not finished my first game so far, but I was wondering how others see this border business.

I would like to see it limit the number and or types of units that can be in ones borders. I do not like (old civ ways) to see them have units in my land continously.

I would rather see maybe only workers/missionary/spies or any non combat units allowed or maybe only one unit of any type.

Also I would prefer to see the impact of not being in their religion reduced. They seem to like to dial you up and ask you to stop dealing with X too much.

It is annoying and makes litle sense to me. We do not have embargo and we do trade with countries we do not like.

When playing last night the same thought occurred to me too. It would be nice to have varying degrees of Open Borders - maybe Open Borders treaties that allow the passage of non-combat units and a specific Right of Passage treaty that allows everything. I get queasy every time I see enemy soldiers walking inside my borders , but I don't see this as a serious problem.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

It sounds nice to have degrees of openess but in return you will do away with the strategic element of it all, reducing it to basically useless.
      There's an up and a downside to both, yours is to make the decission to choose what is in your best interest at any given time.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What Alva says. If you had a separate stance of allowing peaceful units only (which might seem a good idea at first), then it would remove the tradeoff element. Now, if you want access for your army through their lands, you got to deal with their Missionaries, or their armies. If you wantto be able to convert them, you should be prepared to see them doing the same to you.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The "extreme" that is Open Borders in CIV is to try and keep players honest with respect to who their friends are.

Diplomatic exploits defined Civ3, and those habits are hard to unlearn. But I think the game is better for it.
          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Were it only has has been mentioned, I would agree. The thing I am seeing is some civs have 2 or 3 units that never leave. I do not mean missionaries, I mean troops.

Comment

So, what if they DO leave troops in your borders? Those troops are not any threat to you. If there is declaration of war they will be evicted first. Maybe they just don't have any better place to go yet.

Comment

They of course can observe how many units you have in your cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                  So, what if they DO leave troops in your borders? Those troops are not any threat to you. If there is declaration of war they will be evicted first. Maybe they just don't have any better place to go yet.
                  It appear that is not correct. I just had Qin Shi Huang declare on me and he has two axement from way way back in my land.

I send a rfle over to kill them, well two rifles actually. Now they may have been teleport back after I hit enter, but it does not seem like a good plan to have them around.

Since he ranks number one in military, I will seeing some better units soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X