How about NO STARTUP AT ALL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about NO STARTUP AT ALL?

Not a crash. Not a hang. Not an error. Just... Nothing. No dialog boxes. No sound effects. No errors. No warnings.

The game has never created a .ini file, so there isn't an ini file to edit, so I can't enable logging (and I doubt that creating an invalid INI file would help!)

At one point I got the "insert the right disk" message a few times. Gave up and reinstalled, but now NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENS. Not even an error message.

I have to admit, the copy protection is working beautifully. I can't even run the game from an original disk, I can hardly imagine how anyone could run it from a copy.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Unix guy, not a Windows guy, so my first instinct was "just log all the system calls to see what it's doing", but I guess we can't do that.

Found it!

Firewall was blocking something Civ4 spawned.

No error message, of course.

Anyway, with that gone, it seems to be working fine. Well, "fine" meaning it made a bunch of choppy sounds, reset my display resolution three times, and then suddenly came to a beautiful and stable intro screen.

*sigh*

Now to wait for the ever so friendly alcohol people to eliminate the horrible whirring noise this game keeps making.

Comment

I appear to be having this same problem seebs. I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to post info about how to fix this could you?

Comment

In my case, the problem was that my firewall wasn't letting Civ4 run other programs. The Civ4 executable just launches a program called "Cleanup" which is the copy protection wrapper.

If you have a firewall that controls whether or not applications can launch other applications, have it allow Civ4 to start other programs.

Comment

Working...
        X