New fix for new fix :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fix for new fix :)

(NOTE: This involves renaming and moving files. If you mess up, try not to blame me. Un-install and re-install should fix the files back to default if you mess up.

For those of you that are in the minority who ran that new fix for the "failed to initialize renderer" error and it comes up with a crash to desktop, This is what I did to fix it for myself. Someone else has tried it, and it apparently worked for him too:

Well, I was just rushing around, doing multiple things. I ran the game immediately after unpaking the file. I realized I left the file, unchanged, in the same dir. I then renamed it to OLD_art0.pak (I like being organized) but that didn't work. I moved it then, into the XML folder, and the game no longer gave me an error, it just crashed to desktop.

About then, I noticed there wasn't an "Art0" folder, so I wondered if I extracted right. There was an "Art" folder, but that was almost twice the size of the PAK file itself. So I renamed "Art" folder, and watched to see if "Art0" unpacks to "Art" or "Art0" folders. It made an "art" folder. I then compared the size of the OLD "Art" folder and the new one I just made, and found the size of the new "art" folder to be smaller, matching that of the "Art0.pak" file itself.

Odd, I thought, maybe I ran the unpakker twice and it put twice the files in there. So I then tried running Civ4, and it worked, but came up with errors that there are no movie files. After exiting, I find WITHIN the old "Art" folder which files differ from the newly created one. I found movies. So all files missing fron new "art" folder I put in from the old "Art" folder, and it works now.
    That's what I did, but the actual steps I basically did are thus:

Unpakked Art0 file.
    (that didn't work)
    Renamed "Art folder to something else (try Art_OLD)
    Unpakked again.
    Move Art0.pak to another dir (Maybe XML?)
    Copied contents of Art_OLD.
    Pasted into newly created "art" folder from last unpak. Choose NOT to overwrite any files that already exist. May have to hit no a few times.
    Run Civ4.

Anyone else can try that if they get CTD issues instead of "renderer" error after trying the fix?
    Last edited by warlordship; October 28, 2005, 19:45.

hip hip hooray!

Comment

First of all, I don't even have the game yet.

But… I’m spending my time (I have one month and a half before I get Civ IV ) reading and following the Civ IV forum, specially the help forum, and I'm very, very impressed. This community never ceases to surprise me!

Congrats to you all, folks.

I just Apolyton.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Also confirmed a working fix for another.

I am going to experiment some more tonight to see if I can get this working in less steps, to maybe narrow it down to what really fixed it.

Comment

Working...
        X