Religion and Visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and Visibility

A person who founds the holy city of a religion can see other cities that have adopted that religion. Is there a way to remove a religion from a city to prevent an opponent with the corresponding holy city from seeing it? If I send a missionary with my own state religion to the city, it merely adds the religion to the city but doesn't seem to affect the current one.

Would it make sense to be able to remove a religion from a city?

You could use the Theocracy civic. That one prevents the spread of non-state religions. I doubt that there is actually a way to "remove" a religion from a city.

Comment

Yea... I was hoping for a way to remove a Religion too.

Not to commit some kind of religious crime, but more in a way of showing the citizens the "true way".

Know what i mean? Get some of the citizens to rethink their faith and realize they were "wrong" and that there is a "better way".

In CIV4 terms, a missionary could have a "small" chance (dunno... 5-10%) of randomely removing a different faith from a city.

EX:

CityA has Buddhism, Hindusm, Islam, Christianity, & Taoism. Send a Buddhist missionary to that city and tell him to "preach" or something. If successful, one of the 4 other religions disappears from that city.

A Bonus modifier could be applied if the religion he's trying to "purify" is the state religion.

Comment

The Inquisition tried

Comment

Hmmm - Religious 'removals' are a part of history...Like it or not.

In real life, we had Torquemadas or crusaders who certainly
          made sure that their faith was the only one allowed...Or in
          other instances, a faith fell out of disuse as another became
          more popular or was enforced as more popular...

I would like to see someone mod this effect into the game.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I wasn't thinking of it from a realism/non-realism point of view. I just want to find a way to counter the visibility advantage someone else might get. Sure, there are ways to try and prevent the religion from getting there in the first place, but that doesn't account for cities you might conquer later.

Before getting the game, I imagined the religions having different levels of influence in a given city and the more you send your missionaries to a given city the more influence that religion will have. Apparently it's a binary thing...the religion is in the city or it isn't.

I haven't played the game enough to know if the holy city visibility bonus is that big a deal or not anyway, so I'm not worried at the moment.

Comment

There is no way in Civ4 to remove a religion. You can stop it from spreading with a civic, but that's all.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

You can get rid of the visibility bonus by getting the other civs to adopt Free Religion.

The UN would work best for that.

Comment

Or just conquer the holy city!
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                  X