S3 Graphics Prosavage 8A26 Compaq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Graphics Prosavage 8A26 Compaq

I get the render failed to initialize. Is there a way to fix this? I see a fix for the ATI drivers, but is my video card just too old? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I can pick up a geforce graphics card for pretty cheap. How do I tell if my current video card is integrated and if it is integrated is it still possible to switch video cards?

Comment

It's integrated. Get a GeForce, this isn't good enough for Civ4. And yes, you can change your card.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Ok, my next question is if I pick up say 500MB of ram and get a new graphics card, will my 1Ghz computer run it ok? I don't need to run it on the highest quality settings, I just want to be able to play the barebones.

Comment

1 GHz? Hmm, that's below the system requirements. The game should run, though, but it will be very slow on loads and such, and AI turns make take some time, too.

Comment

What are the possibilities for upgrading the pentium? It's a 5 year old compaq presario.

Comment

5 year old? You'd just about have to buy a new computer.

To upgrade a processor, you generally need (and you certainly do) a new motherboard along with it. Given that you also want to add ram and change the video card, you almost have a new computer there, except the hard drive. How big is the hard drive anyway? 5 years old, I assume it's from 10 to 20 GB?

Comment

It's 30 GB. I don't want to spend more than 250$ and I'm not sure I'm going to spend anything at all with all the problems people are having with civ4.

Comment

Other than the ATI problem which is now fixed, the number of people having problems isn't particularly large. There's the odd graphical issue now and then, but it's for few people, plus the first patch usually fixes that sort of stuff.

Comment

Markusf just told me it is an awesome gmae so I'm sold. Now, I'm looking at getting a 128MB GEFORCE 8X FX 5200 DDR AGP should I get a PCI card or an AGP? I'm lost in this ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X