Clear All

• Weird Graphical Problems Soren please Help

Okay heres my specs:
    Win XP
    512MB Ram
    Plenty of HD space
    Radeon 9550 AGP 256 MB vram updated 5.10 drivers
    AMD Atholon 1.7GHz

So I too had the same problems with Init Render error so I used the pak tool and awesome it works.

Now heres where the problems start, I get the game going and the graphic problems are minor at first, the text in the game flickers a little bit, very slight. So I get in game. And I play without problems at first but as I go along the map starts this weird only can be described as black-block flickers. Where on the main map I'll get flickers of black geometric shapes flashing on the main map for a maybe half a second at a time. the size and shape of the flickers are completely random it seems. Even at this point the game is fine and playable, but as time passes in game the flickers increase, still only slightly annoying. Then finally maybe a few turns later everything else appears to become corrupted, the menus go nuts with color distortions and it is unreadable and the screen goes insane, however the game appears to continue to run, but obviously is at this point unplayable. Any fixes here? Please help, cause it looks like this new game rocks. Thanxs
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

Identical problem.

WinXP
    Radeon 9600 256mb
    512mb RAM
    p4 1.7ghz.

I have the exact same issue. Is Fraxis working on a patch of any kind?

Comment

Quick update

I have tried both the omega drivers and the ati drivers, both with the same result and everyone reading this please feel free to post possible solutions as I'm sure solver and soren are both very busy right now
      atrocities.
      - Voltaire

Comment

Ditto

I am having the same issues.
        but with a geforce 5900 ultra. (also have tried both newest and an older driver).

Comment

Patch Reply

I hope they are working on a patch for this issue however it concerns me right now that only a few people have posted here, I'm hoping that we can get solver and/or soren on this thread, so we can disscus this problem. So in short please keep posting updates so that way this thread doesn't go into the obis so to speak.
          atrocities.
          - Voltaire

Comment

I think I had a similar problem, and I used the fix for ATI cards in general. Specifically, all I did was use the unpak utility and everything seems to be working now.

HTH

Cad

Please delete this post, its a basically a dupe that happened because I didn't realize the post was successful de to network issues. Sorry.
            Last edited by cadamus; October 28, 2005, 14:00.

Comment

I had a similar problem and I fixed by following the steps under the renderer error fixes. Actually all I did was the part about unpaking the .pak file.

HTH

Cad

Comment

I'm also having really bizarre in-game graphical corruption bugs with *two* separate Radeon 9800 Pro cards. Using an NVidia GF4 4600 card in the same system, I have no problems.

Here's an example of the kind of graphical texture and polygon corruption I'm getting:

Ben Hamilton is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Ben Hamilton and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Comment

Any news from Firaxis

Anybody here anything from Firaxis about this issue, it concerns me that we've heard nothing
                  atrocities.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

So, I've come to the conclusion that my graphics corruption problems were due to my computer's power supply being inadequate. I installed Civ 4 on a different machine with a bigger power supply and moved the same Radeon 9800 Pro card into it, and it worked fine.

Comment

very interesting solutions

Okay knock on wood here but so far I've made it to the middle ages with graphical errors but the game is still very much playable

Got in touch with tech support, very helpful guys, they told me that it was possible that my radeon 9550 was overheating so I popped open the case and put a box fan right next to it. Again it worked, for now anyway. So give this a shot, who knows. Also if you were playing a previous game where it crashed give it up. I think it corrupts that save. so try this let me know how that goes. Long and short of it is I think I'm getting a new graphics card with a fan on it for christmas. Haha.
                      atrocities.
                      - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                      X