Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Socket Error

Hi,

My friend and I got Civilization IV and were trying to play it over LAN. We are on the same network, connected to the same router. When creating a game, however, both of us were faced with an error message popping up saying "Network Error - A network socket could not be created," followed by "Disconnected - The network socket encountered an error and was closed." We checked the winsock.dll file in the WINDOWS folder and even tried changing the comm port that the game connects on.

We also tried playing through direct ip (It just times out when one player is connecting to the other (host)), as well as gamespy (although we were able to log on, a connection time out was the best we could get).

If anyone has any idea what exactly this 'network socket error' is, and has any suggestions on how to fix it, we would be very grateful if you would share the solution with us. Thanks.

Edit:

We enabled the error logging system and came up with a log:

[6043.484] DBG: HOSTING a MULTIPLAYER, NEW, LAN game!
    [6044.359] ERR: Could not find available local IP!!
    [6044.359] ERR: SockMgrThread encountered a socket error
    [6045.375] ERR: Network socket creation failed!!
    [6045.625] ERR: Update LAN Game List: No LAN Browser exists!
    [6053.421] WRN: Disconnecting from entire Peer Network!

The ERR: Could not find available local IP!! seems to be the main problem at work. My IP is fine and my internet works perfectly. Is there some way to make the game detect my IP properly?
    Last edited by ottlite; October 28, 2005, 04:49.

bump - does anybody have any ideas at all?

Comment

Working...
    X