And so it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins...

I had hoped to be able to hold off purchasing CIV, preferring to get it for Christmas (read: for free). I had convinced myself that I could wait. For the game itself, I was probably right. But now I see thread after thread with input from my favorite Civ strategists, people like Aeson, Arrian, conmcb25, Sir Ralph, DeepO and others, and it starts to sink in. By waiting, I'm missing the best part... being one of the pioneers to contribute to the communal knowledge of the game.

Every screenshot I've seen looks great, and compounds the problem. I know I won't be a "CivIII is better" holdout. In fact, I'm doubting that there will even be a significant community of such holdouts. CIV looks to have taken the best from the previous incarnations and woven them together.

So... do I break down and make room in my new student budget for it, or will you guys save a few aspects for me to explore in a couple of months?
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

simply don't read and do not look at the screenshots. I'm in the almost same situation as you, btw

Comment

purchase it.

After all, Solomwi, I purchased civ3 and managed law school.

barely. after all, I do work for the guvnment now.

Comment

But now I see thread after thread with input from my favorite Civ strategists, people like Aeson, Arrian, conmcb25, Sir Ralph, DeepO and others, and it starts to sink in. By waiting, I'm missing the best part... being one of the pioneers to contribute to the communal knowledge of the game.
        Yeah, that's what got me. I went out and bought it last night, and now here I sit at my desk on 4 hours of sleep. Just like the good 'ole days.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Look at the amount of problems people are having. Don't bother. Get it pirated and buy it on budget when the bugs have been fixed.

Comment

If you feel like being a thief, sure, you can pirate it.

Waiting for the bux fixes is the smart play, but many of us cannot resist that long. Besides, my copy is running quite well.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I have not had any problems with the game. Other than I am sure what everything does and what is the right move.

Well I did have some confusion when I put in the play disk and it would tell me that was not valid. Finally used the install disk and it is fine.

Comment

After updating my ATI with the correct driver (from the computer manufacturer, not from ATI!), the game works like a breeze and I have seen no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Yeah, that's what got me. I went out and bought it last night, and now here I sit at my desk on 4 hours of sleep. Just like the good 'ole days.

-Arrian

I've got to confess, I was unable to play the beta the last month or so. But now with launch, I don't care... I've got 4 days off, and nothing in my agenda but CIV. Just seeing all the excitement, and posting little thoughts here, I had to be one fo the first in Belgium to buy the game this morning.

It's a second rush, comparable to the one when I was accepted. I'm loving it

So to you who have to wait: I'm sorry, I feel your pain.

DeepO

Comment

Use the time to finish up any other timesinks you may have.

Since I do not have the game, I'm enjoying the element of asking questions about the game as I see reports come in. I figure by the time I get it, I will not be totally in the dark - more like in a closet with a bit of light shining through the doorcrack...

It should be less than a month for me to get my hands on it. And the day I have it will be a 4-day weekend for me (Thanksgiving)
                    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Re: And so it begins...

Originally posted by Solomwi
                      So... do I break down and make room in my new student budget for it, or will you guys save a few aspects for me to explore in a couple of months?
                      In Civ III, significant new insights to the game were still being uncovered after 3 years (maybe more yet to come).

One thing to consider though is that CIV's SDK will be released sometime early 2006, and a lot of the analytical "fun" is going to end then as every formula will be spelled out in the code.

Comment

Re: Re: And so it begins...

Originally posted by Aeson

In Civ III, significant new insights to the game were still being uncovered after 3 years (maybe more yet to come).

One thing to consider though is that CIV's SDK will be released sometime early 2006, and a lot of the analytical "fun" is going to end then as every formula will be spelled out in the code.
                        Very true, but I always regretted missing out on the initial flurry of activity. Didn't know that about the code for CIV.

In any event, the matter's been settled. My girlfriend was going to bring her 7-year old son over to watch the football game today (now it looks like she may be coming alone ), and called to ask if I could set up a CivIII game for him in case he got bored just so he could sit at the computer and blow stuff up. He had great fun with that on a previous visit. Anyway, I casually and innocently (honest!) mentioned that CIV was out, and she immediately and excitedly asked if I could wait for Christmas. I'm a sucker for a pretty woman, especially one who'll keep company with the likes of me, so how could I say no?

Now to convince her that Christmas is the first week in November...
                        Last edited by Solomwi; October 29, 2005, 15:23.

Comment

I'm sure it would be more enjoyable to play CIV than watch your team lose

Comment

Indeed, and hopefully I'll have it in hand next time we face an opponent capable of beating us.

Comment

God damn Ole Miss sucks! Not that its a suprise, mind you....

Comment

Working...
                              X