Lower right mini-map is wacky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower right mini-map is wacky

On my system the mini-map in the lower right isn't looking right. It has horizontal lines in the landscape colors that don't look like anything. The colors for the civilizations are there in right places but they aren't clearly shown either.

The larger map at the end of a game is also messed up.

All the other in-game graphics look fine. GeForce 6800GT with the latest drivers. Windows XP with all the latest patches.

I have the exact same problem.

Apparently, from my snooping around on other boards, this is a problem experienced by Nvidia users using the last 2 versions of the ForceWare drivers.

No word on if the BETA drivers fix this issue.

Apparently, one person has reported success switching back to the 77.xx series drivers.

So...it\'s an Nvidia problem from a driver standpoint and a Firaxis problem from poor QA testing which doesn\'t surprise me based on all the other things I\'m reading AND my own experiences testing their PIRATES! game...

Comment

I downgraded to GeForce drivers 71.89 and my problem is solved. Nothing special on which driver version I went with, just had it on hand.

Also before if I zoomed out too far on the main map it would have screwy graphics. This too was solved by the driver downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by kmedlinnc
        I have the exact same problem.

Apparently, from my snooping around on other boards, this is a problem experienced by Nvidia users using the last 2 versions of the ForceWare drivers.

No word on if the BETA drivers fix this issue.
        These are the latest I could find (they should the Beta's you were talking about).
        I know for sure at one person who installed them and doesn't have any problems (note that these are the only one he used for Civ, so no idea wether they will help).

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

This issue is also caused by Alt-Tabing out of the game and coming back. In that case, a simple save and reload fixes it.

Comment

Yeah, also removing some FOG* (moving a unit into FOG) should help.

Probably causes the engine to redraw the map while returning from an alt-tab doesn't.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ah. Never thought of it that way. I figured a redraw issue was there, but didn't think about things to make it do so. Although, I played at length with the mini map messed up. I would have thought I removed some fog during that session, but I am not certain. I will specifically try that in the future.

Comment

alva,
                Actually it was 81.85 that was giving me the wacky graphics. Note that these drivers aren't beta, you can download them directly from NVIDIA's website and it says they are WHQL Certified.

www.guru3d.com has the latest beta which is 81.87 but I'm too busy playing Civ to feel like messing around with them.

Also moving a unit into the fog never cleared up the wacky graphics for me.

Nailfoot,
                alt-tabbing didn't seem to cause or help the problem when I was using the 81.85 driver.

Comment

81.85 Solution Found

I got it working with the latest 81.85 drivers...

This is so easy I'm ashamed to admit it.

Just go into the options and set the anti-aliasing setting to 4. I didn't test 2, but the default is 0 and it wasn't working with that particular setting.

If anyone else could confirm this solution I'd greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                  X