Should I bother getting Civ 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I bother getting Civ 4?

After calling a few stores and them saying they don't have Civ 4 yet or is gone and waiting for more, I came here to read some reviews.

All I have read so far is that there is problems with the game graphics wise, depending on what vid card you have, and that the Civopedia is a pice of crap.

Is there anything else wrong with the game? Did they release the game to early, and have to patch it up?

Just want to make shure and not go to a different city tomorrow to see if I can get the game.

Should I bother tomorrow or not? What do you guys say who have the game, is it still has that ONE MORE TURN wich was gone for me in Civ III.

If those are the only problems I can live with it, hoping my vid card will work ok. I have a Nivida GeForce FX 5200, is that any good?

thanks for your input

Davor

The positives of the game far outweigh the minor amount of negatives that Civ3 had. At least for me, the spark is back, and the only reason why I'm not playing now is that I have a test in 10 minutes.

To me it practically makes Civ3 seem to never exist in terms of how complete the game seems to be... The Civ1 and Civ2 music they placed in there doesn't hurt either.
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I will read some reviews, of what people say here in this thread. I can't find any people reviews wich I find strange. Does anyone know where I can see people reviews?

Comment

Yes get the game.
        Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Yolky
          I will read some reviews, of what people say here in this thread. I can't find any people reviews wich I find strange. Does anyone know where I can see people reviews?
          Try Civ 4 - Reviews instead of Civ 4 - General forum...
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I think you just need to wait until Firaxis has released patches fixing at least the major issues. The game itself seems great from what I've read of it, but it's just not finished yet.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

i just seen the review area, going to read them now, hopefully i will be able to get the game tomorrow, the reviews look promising, when coming from everyday people instead of gaming sites.

Comment

It is very good

and I would contend that the game is finished... it just hasn't been tested on all the systems it should have (which seems to be the case for Firaxis often, unfortunately)

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Get it. The gameplay's just the best the genre has ever had. The ATI video problems have just been fixed.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    It is very good

and I would contend that the game is finished... it just hasn't been tested on all the systems it should have (which seems to be the case for Firaxis often, unfortunately)

JM
                    To be fair though, this can be said about every game company. People have such varied hardware configurations, there's no way a game is going to work on everyone's system.

Course, it runs just fine on my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro... So I'm biased!
                    "I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it."
                    - Rogers Hornsby

Comment

I don't think that Civ3 was finished out of the box

of course, I haven't tried World Builder or MP

and if those don't work right my point of finished would be wrong

but the SP (which I have played) is finished

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I only play on SP and am glad to read that you guys say that it is done. Ok I trust you guys and will get the game tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get it since I only have free time on the weekends.

Will I get a divorce if I play this game? Is it that addicting? I remeber with my exwife, I always got into trouble with Civ II (she is my ex not becuase of Civ II but for other reasons lol) and Civ III never got me away from my current wife.

Will Civ IV give me wife trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Get it. The gameplay's just the best the genre has ever had. The ATI video problems have just been fixed.
                          So is this a 100% fix, or will Firaxis have to do some more work on it? So what was the problem anyway?

Comment

ATI problem, a bug in some cards.

Still a bit too soon, at the moment people are still fooling around with. They're good first impression threads in the other forum though.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yolky, the 5200 is not going to set any speed records for rendering the game. Be prepared to turn down quality and turn some things off.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X