New fix for the renderer error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simpleton
    I have a 9550 and the PAK tool worked! The game runs fine with no graphical glitches as above. Thank the maker for that one..

And now I still can't play because I have to study!!!
    I still can't play because Montreal has no copies!!!

I'm glad this is working for the vast majority of you. To the others, I hope your game is working soon...

Comment

• Warlord - the file just unpacks the archive where all the graphics are stored. Some of the ATI cards are unable to handle the big archive file, but some are.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Simpleton - don't do it man!

The game will be there when you get back and your education is forever!

Just kidding

Steve
        I do not live in London, I live in South London. South London is different, a warm melting pot where everyone can become a bona fide South Londoner by virtue of two things. One: living in South London, and two: having no aspiration to live in the Cotswolds.

Mark Thomas

Comment

• JuleZ: next time click that button and post the log it will spew.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by fruitmonkey
            thanks for the quick fix but with windows 2000 this doesnt work - at least for me...
            with the new alpha fpk_tool i get the following message :
            "component mscomctl.ocx not correctly registered. file missing or invalid"
            I've updated the post where I post the tool with more info, and a setup program that includes the required runtime files. (Never thought I'd release anything in sush crappy condition as that tool, and definately not with a setup )
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

• ATi Radeon X800XL AGP.

Works beautifully! I almost started to cry when I heard the music in the main menu...

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                It looks that the application doesn't work for Win2K, you have to try Gramphos's alternative app. I'm pretty sure Firaxis are going to update their unpacker to be W2K-compatible.
                Thank you much, that did the trick. I just loaded in.

Comment

• Originally posted by JuLeZ
                  I'm not sure if this is the "rendering" problem. I've been having this problem everytime I try to launch the game I get this window's error message.

Please if anyone has information on what this might me let me know. I have a DELL XPS Laptop with Mobility radeon 9800 in it drivers are completely up to date
                  That sounds more like a damaged file. I'd try reinstalling it, if you haven't already.

Comment

• Can someone help me compare file sizes?

What is the exact number in bytes of the civroot/Assets/Art/Terrain/Lights/UnitLight.nif file?\

Mine is 777 bytes. Game can't seem to open it.

Comment

• After having problems with the original PAK-tool I managed to extract all the files from art0.fpk with the alpha fpk_tool. Now I have many new folders in my assets directory (and removed the art0.fpk). The render-error disappeared. Instead, loading the game is stopped at the moment it crashed before and I am thrown back on my desktop without an error message.
                      I have win2k and a Sapphire Radeon9600 Atlantis. It works for so many people, i don't have a clue what to do now?

Comment

• Have a 9550 and the fix worked like a charm.

And I was worried I would have to make plans for this weekend
                        seven6two

Comment

• You have the same problem I do Collorado, and I've heard of 1 other person with it as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
                            for the people experiencing probloems with the utility for Win2000, are you running from the command line or using the stated instructions?
                            I'm using stated instructions...

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                              JuleZ: next time click that button and post the log it will spew.
                              I got this after clicking that "click here"

Comment

• For those who apply the patch and now suffer a CTD after the load screen, I had that problem and solved it.

The patch simply caused it to get by the init but go straight to crashing to the desktop. So I actually took my graphics card out of the machine, swapping it with an old crappy card. After trying that card (didn't meet requirements - black land, Cheshire cat issues) I swapped in the new card, refreshed everything, reinstalled the game, applied the patch, and it works fine. Note that I have an ATI Radeon 9550 256.

So I suggest actually removing your graphics card from your system - deinstall it in Hardware Manager and if you can get a hold of another card, run your computer with that. Then reinstall entirely. Solver suspects, and I concur, that a new detection of the card may solve this new problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X