• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• try new graka version!

Comment

• What is it?

Comment

• Guys, I've tried this and the Take2 fix and me and My ATI 9550 can not play this wonderfully reviewed game

Comment

• Originally posted by shazbotian

No, gramphos is talking about a lesser-known folder that sits on your C: drive called "Documents and Settings".
          No such folder is visible when I look at my C: drive. What do I need to do to view it? I have "show hidden files" turned on already.

Comment

• danfoster,
            You havn't said what problem you are encountering, so it's hard to give you solutions.

If you have updated your video AND sound card drivers already, there are a few things that can help.

If the game crashes during the initial check(before the main game loads), try playing sound through Windows Media Player, and while the sound is playing, THEN try running the game. The checking XML and then a sudden drop to desktop is caused by a problem with the sound drivers and playing an MP3 file or something while loading the game will get around it.

If you have an ATI card that is at least a Radeon 7200, uninstall your vid card drivers, re-install the DirectX that comes with the game, then reboot, and then install the latest drivers.

If you have an NVIDIA video card, you may need to revert to an older driver.

If you have a laptop and the normal video card drivers don't work for you AND your laptop has either ATI or NVIDIA based video, you can go to www.omegadrivers.net and see if those drivers will work for you.

See if there are updated drivers for your computer, chipset and AGP(or PCI Express) driver updates can sometimes help.

Just saying the game won't run for you without information makes it difficult to help, so be sure to provide information such as what sound card and video card you have in your system.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• So if this brutal and disappointing problem has been fixed, as appears to be the case judging by the Firaxis programmers that have posted here ....

WHY ARE THERE NO UPDATES WITHIN CIV4 TO AUTOMATICALLY FIX THE ISSUE!?!?!

WHY HAVE I HAD TO SEARCH THE INTERNET FOR HELP ON A PROBLEM THAT FIRAXIS IS AWARE OF!?!?!

I am a Civ fan dating back to the original game. I bought Civ4 as soon as it was out, and was UTTERLY SHOCKED at how badly it runs.

Utterly pathetic coming from 'gaming god' Sid Meier.

Comment

• Can't work yet.

My video card is ATI 9550 (128M, 128bit, 350MHz/500MHz).

system is WinXP SP2.

DirectX 9.0c

The driver of video card is Catalyst 5.11 Windows XP.

I have try the tool "PakBuild".

But game didn't work. Error is "Failed to Initialize Renderer".

I am beyond hope. Could you help me? Please.

Email: townecoa@hotmail.com

Comment

• I'm still amazed that companies still haven't figured out what Blizzard and other big name companies already have: that you make your money by making a good first impression, and maintaining your reputation. This includes releasing play-tested games, and releasing timely fixes.

Maybe Sid needs to retire. He seems to have forgotten the roots of gaming: gameplay. More than 90% of the graphics in this game are useless, and serve only to distract and slow down the main game. Furthermore, when the graphics cause crashes and slowdowns, they become worse than useless: they become harmful, and one questions why they were needlessly added at all. The cake should be ready before the icing is added.

I'll see how long I last before I return the game and play the working predecessor.

Comment

• Strange these meansures do not seem to work for me. I keep getting the same error. I do not have an ATI card.

Comment

• I do entirely agree with Bionic-Badger. This game has not been finished. As we say in french "Il a été fini à l'urine".

But the worst is, that i am asking you how i could get it work, and that nobody answers!!!

Comment

• I wouldn't blame people for not knowing how to fix the problems; all these "fixes" are hacks and experimental tweaks. The real solution is a patch that should've already been issued, or even more, that the game shouldn't have been released until it was playtested. Such a mistake would've bankrupted an unestablished gaming company; Firaxis is lucky they have some titles and clout behind their games. They should hope it lasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bionic-Badger
                          I'm still amazed that companies still haven't figured out what Blizzard and other big name companies already have: that you make your money by making a good first impression, and maintaining your reputation. This includes releasing play-tested games, and releasing timely fixes.
                          Not to mention Blizzard still give tech support on many of its older releases.

Originally posted by Bionic-Badger
                          Maybe Sid needs to retire. He seems to have forgotten the roots of gaming: gameplay. More than 90% of the graphics in this game are useless, and serve only to distract and slow down the main game. Furthermore, when the graphics cause crashes and slowdowns, they become worse than useless: they become harmful, and one questions why they were needlessly added at all. The cake should be ready before the icing is added.

I'll see how long I last before I return the game and play the working predecessor.
                          I do not beleive that Sid directly works on these games any more. I beleive he stopped after Civ 1 and let Brian Reynolds do it. Brian Reynolds was what allowed Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri to rock so much. When Reynolds started to get popular as a game designer, he left Firaxis to do his own thing, I belive. Reynolds didnt have a hand in Civ III or Civ IV, and it shows.

Comment

• Worked for my Europe (Spanish) version! THANKS !!!!

RADEON 9550

Comment

• Sid Meier, shame on you!

Comment

• Thank you very much. This has resolved the issue for me. My card: Radeon X700 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X