No announcement yet.

New fix for the renderer error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, Gramphos you poor dude. LoL, reading through this you seem to be dealing with people with an impressive amount of patience on your part.

I'm one of those people who got civ working by making a new user acount, so I tried your recommendation about deleting the cache and sure enough the game worked after that.

I should have thought of that, being a programmer myself, but it was 1 am and I was tired and the brain wasn't working real great.

So thanks, now I can delete my extra user account... gota see if I can get that kick ass game I played earlier today copied over first though...

So in conclusion, it does seem to be some wierdness with ATI and their newest cards. However, we can't entirely take the blame off Firaxis, as they probably should have had someone somewhere run the game on an x800 AGP / x800XL (both of which appeared to have this problem). As a programmer at a game company I can understand how this can happen; pressure to get the game out on time is, well, undescribeable (how many all nighters did you guys pull just before it shipped? My company did 48 hours straight before we shipped First To Fight ), I also understand how it feels to be a gamer getting the box and being pissed that I can't just play it right away. Its a tough industry we work in, and the blame really should rest on the way the publishers work it.

By the way Firaxis, if any of you read this, "2k games" was the label we published First to Fight under and let me just say, we didn't exactly enjoy our publishing arrangement with them.... I was a little depressed to see their logo on the Civ4 box...

Comment

• I should say to all you peeps out there, gramphos isn't talking about anything in "My Documents" as was suggested in earlier posts as being necessary to delete when re-installing the game.

No, gramphos is talking about a lesser-known folder that sits on your C: drive called "Documents and Settings".

Ah, Micro$oft, does your awsomeness never end?

Comment

• Originally posted by ozzytx
        Windows XP 64-bit
        2 x BFG 6800 Ultra OC

This fixed the video problem but now my units and popup menus are invisible sometimes.
        ozzytx?

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Hi

I'm not sure my problem is related, but I can start up the game fine. However, when I actually begin playing, I have random coloured lines on the terrain, and sometimes the words come out as random lines and the pictures as random colorued fuzzy lined pictures.

i tried to unpacker for win2k (which is what i have) but it didn't do anything.

Any help would be good!

p.s. my graphic card is a radeon 9600, just recently updated with the latest drive from ATI.

Comment

• *cough* RUSHED! *cough*

A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• Um....Question:

How the hell do I install the DirectX upgrade on the disc if it pops up with an error message and says "A file cannot be trusted, install cancelled" or something?

The disc installed Civ4 itself just fine, its' the installer for DirectX that's fuc*ed up.

Comment

• I did all of those phases and now it just won't start. After loading to the point where it showed the "renderer failure" error it shows black box on desktop and Civ IV loading cursor. After a moment screen goes black and next i find myself back at the desktop. Am I doing something wrong?

My card is Club 3D Radeon 9600 pro 256MB

Comment

• try clearing the cache http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...76#post4094976
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

• I have a Radeon 9600, Win XP SP2: after inizialization it return to the desktop and don't work. Why?

Comment

• Have you tried clearing the cache?

Comment

• I have. I didn't find that "cache" folder in C:\documents and settings and so on... so I deleted everything in that Civilization 4 folder and tried to start up but it still CTD. Maybe Firaxis just hates Radeon 9600 :/

Comment

• Try to enable logging in your ini, and see if the logfiles give any errors.

Comment

• ThemeParseLog.txt says:
                            [Oct 30, 2005 - 09:54:28] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
                            Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
                            Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
                            Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
                            Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
                            Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

resmgr.txt says:
                            RESMGR: Scene file Art/Terrain/Lights/UnitLight.nif failed to load. Reason: (code:1) Cannot open file.

PythonErr.txt is empty and others don't seem to contain info about errors.

Comment

• Still have the same renderer error.

Running Win2K SP4 (all updates), Radeon 9550, Dual Monitor setup, updated all drivers, updated DirectX from the developer package from the Microsoft site as well as trying to use the package that came with the game. The log tells me this:

Code:
                              [414.093] DBG: FILE Cat Init
                              [414.265] DBG: Using XML cache
                              [414.265] DBG: Game Init
                              [414.265] DBG: Multiplayer Init
                              [414.375] DBG: Audio Init
                              [415.078] DBG: ArtFileMgr Init
                              [415.078] DBG: Python Init
                              [417.062] VERSION: CIV Version: 0
                              [417.062] VERSION: Save Version: 100
                              [417.062] DBG: Input Init
                              [417.078] DBG: Engine Init
                              [417.484] ERR: Initialize Renderer failed - parameters:
                              	- width		= 1024
                              	- height	= 768
                              	- flags		= 0x8
                              	- hwnd		= 0x205e0
                              	- adaptrid	= 0
                              	- deviceid	= 1
                              [417.484] DBG: Failed to Initialize Renderer - Check DirectX Version
                              Also ran the alpha win2k artpak thing. Selected art0.fpk and selected the Assets folder to unstract in.

What to do?

Comment

• It just doesn't work. Here's list of methods I've tried

- Uninstall/Reinstall method found at 2kgames site
                                - PAK unpack method
                                - Reinstalling display drivers and DirectX (the one on the CD)
                                - That "old_Art" method
                                - Renaming d9dx9_27.dll (so _26 would load after reboot)
                                - Omega drivers
                                - delete cache (well actually the whole Civilization 4 dir in "My Games"

Perhaps they release a patch that would (finally) fix this annoyance.

Comment

Working...
                                X