Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you abandon a city?

So far I am loving Civ4 so far.

I was up until 4 in the morning playing it... I just couldn't help myself!!! It is definitely a case of "ONE MORE TURN" syndrome

But, in this current game, I am totally PWNING in culture and I am getting some cities to culture flip. The problem is, they are in bad areas. And one has just flipped and is taking away food from one of my major cities!

Is there any way to abandon a city like in Civ3?

I haven't been able to find how to do this.

Sorry for the n00b question, I'm sure there is a simple answer to this.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Re: How do you abandon a city?

Originally posted by Sava
    But, in this current game, I am totally PWNING in culture and I am getting some cities to culture flip. The problem is, they are in bad areas. And one has just flipped and is taking away food from one of my major cities!
    Don't you get a choice? I think there should be a popup asking you if you actually want to have a city before it flips. Could be wrong though...

Anyway, you can control which city gets a tile by manually assinging a worker to it, that should keep your big cities safe.

Is there any way to abandon a city like in Civ3?
    No, you cannot commit genocide on your own people anymore
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Can't destroy cities AFAIK, you can raze them when you take them by force but there is no right-click ---> raze.

Better start thinking long term.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Re: How do you abandon a city?

Originally posted by Locutus

Don't you get a choice? I think there should be a popup asking you if you actually want to have a city before it flips. Could be wrong though...

Anyway, you can control which city gets a tile by manually assinging a worker to it, that should keep your big cities safe.
        It didn't give me a pop-up window.

When I conquer cities, it gives me a choice to install a governor or to raze the city.

But so far I have had 4 cities culture flip to me and it does not give me any choice.

Also, I cannot manually assign workers to get the food from this specific tile because the new city (that I just got from culture flipped) if adjacent to the tile where I want to collect from. In Civ4, it won't allow a city to collect resources from a tile that is adjacent to another city.

This particular tile is a farm with rice. So naturally, the major city that was relying on this tile is now going to starve because of this STUPID CULTURE FLIPPED TOWN!!

Even if I go into the new town and stop the worker from collecting the resources, I can't let the other town's workers get stuff from the tile.

No, you cannot commit genocide on your own people anymore
        WHY THE HELL NOT?!?!?!?

Originally posted by alva

Better start thinking long term.
        I'll be sure and tell the AI not to build cities in areas that will screw me up after they culture flip to me.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: How do you abandon a city?

Originally posted by Sava
          Also, I cannot manually assign workers to get the food from this specific tile because the new city (that I just got from culture flipped) if adjacent to the tile where I want to collect from. In Civ4, it won't allow a city to collect resources from a tile that is adjacent to another city.
          I'm absolutely positive the game was designed to make this possible, as we had a lot of complaints when it wasn't. I'm not much of a SP/strategy expert though, hopefully some other tester or someone else can tell you exactly how to do it.

Comment

If you click on the tile in the city screen, and it's one of the 20 potential tiles that can be worked by that city, it will open up that tile to be worked, closing it for any other cities that have it in their radius. Clicking on the tile again once it is opened up will place a laborer on it, or you can then turn on the governor and it can choose to use it or not.

If you don't want the city, you could always gift it back (or gift it to another AI).

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
              If you don't want the city, you could always gift it back (or gift it to another AI).
              Ow, that's a good one, why didn't I think of that? Shows just how little I know about the unmodded game

Comment

I'm not sure if I know what you (Sava) are talking about (hey, does anyone ever? )but doesn't just clicking on that tile help? May need several clicks, or a double click...

Post a screenie Sava!

I'll be sure and tell the AI not to build cities in areas that will screw me up after they culture flip to me.

Stop culture bombing him and stop playing at chieftan
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                  If you click on the tile in the city screen, and it's one of the 20 potential tiles that can be worked by that city, it will open up that tile to be worked, closing it for any other cities that have it in their radius. Clicking on the tile again once it is opened up will place a laborer on it, or you can then turn on the governor and it can choose to use it or not.

I will try messing with the laborers once again.

But the gift idea is great.

Only I fear it will just culture flip back to me again.

However, I wonder if this could be an exploit of sorts. Building up goodwill by gifting a city, then getting it back by culture flip.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    I'm not sure if I know what you (Sava) are talking about (hey, does anyone ever? )but doesn't just clicking on that tile help? May need several clicks, or a double click...

Post a screenie Sava!

Stop culture bombing him and stop playing at cheiftan
                    okay I will post a screenshot

I am playing at noble!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think it will flip again, the same rules as conquered cities may apply here, not sure though.

See what the AI says after you have gifted him the city.

Comment

Well the + for gifting the city is competing with the - for the "border tensions" of having cultural pressure on their city(s), so if there is an exploit there, it should be minimal.

Plus the AI will attempt to keep the city from flipping. Building up their own culture there. Maybe even create a Great Work and push your borders back a bit eventually. So there is risk involved too.

Comment

okay, I fooled around with laborers...

apparantly you can place the laborers adjacent to cities, but you have to click on the square twice for some reason...

initially, the square is blacked out (which is confusing)... I click on it once, nothing happens, then twice, and it places the laborer...

so I don't need to scrap the city... I think I will keep it and build up culture just to push the border with the Malinese even farther.

Here is a screenshot.

Sorry, I had to resize it, my resolution is 1600x1200... it's hard to make out everything, but you get the jist of what I am talking about.
                          Attached Files
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

At least you found the rename city option on your own

Comment

And he's playing without a state religion (or don't icons show next to your own name?)!! Sticking to principles.

Comment

Working...
                              X