Q for those that had error with right drivers, etc - that got it to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for those that had error with right drivers, etc - that got it to work

I know - a select group that are probably too busy playing at the moment - but it's worth a shot.

Still trying to figure this out (so I have a plan of action when I get home)

Again - if you had the error AFTER updating drivers, etc.
    but then managed to fix it.

Had any of you NOT uninstalled/reinstalled the game itself?

thanks in advance

Working

Mine is now working. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB) card and when I first installed it, I couldn't see the into video, the menu buttons, and it kept dropping to the desktop randomly. Here is what I did:

just a recap of what i said in the other thread, in case it might help diagnose the problem:

1. I installed DX 9 and Civ 4 from the disc and tried running. Didn't work, got the symptoms above.

2. I uninstalled my existing ATI drivers and then I updated my driver to 5.10 and tried running again. Still didn't work...it would just drop back to the desktop.

3. I then updated DX off the disc again after updating my driver. After doing this, it worked perfectly. I played for a few hours last night with no probs.

Hope that this works for some others at least as the game is awesome. Good luck.

-Rick
    -Rick

Comment

Well, I've been searching for answers. I get the Wrong Disc error, no matter which disk I use. (CD) I have a minimal system, but until I can upgrade my system, I am willing to put up with slowness... but The game starts to load, lasts about 20 seconds, and then prompts me to put in the correct disc.
      I re-installed the game, and still get the error. Since it installed without error, I have to assume that the disc is readable. ???

Comment

I didn't uninstal the game or DirectX
        I just downgraded my nVidia drivers to ForceWare 71.89
        I'm now finishing my 2nd game (Epix, speed, Huge Map, Medium graphic details, no animations).
        Apart from one BSOD and one CTD everything is working properly.

Comment

Tried everything mentioned in the forums (fora?) but nothing worked.

Eventually I went into the BIOS of my MSI K8N mainboard and changed the settings to fail safe. It worked, I can play the game though the wonder movies are choppy.

Also when not playing civ (and in safe mode) my system is instable and tends to crash. So I just toggle between fail safe and optimized mode.

It works, but a patch would be nice though.
          Last edited by Mannamagnus; November 11, 2005, 06:36.
          Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

First, here's my specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
            Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
            System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
            BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/27/04 11:09:23 Ver: 08.00.09
            Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
            Memory: 1024MB RAM
            DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
            Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
            Display Memory: 128.0 MB
            Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
            Sound Devices: Realtek AC97 Audio
            Fingers: 5 (2 Hands)

I ran Civ out of the box with an older BIOS and nVIDIA Driver that HP supplied with the machine. It ran fairly well, but got very slow after 20-30 turns. Sometimes letters were not rendered in the Tech tree and on the city bars.

If I tried to use World Builder to create a map, that almost always CTD/BIOS within 20 turns.

I updated BIOS and video drivers with their respective latest versions. This didn't improve things at all and I began to experience frequent CTD or CT BIOS. Good thing too. I really needed that bathroom break.

I then used HP's suggested drivers for video, sound, and I/O devices. No improvement.

Finally, I went to the Omega drivers and haven't had a crash yet. I've tried a variety of map sizes, most at Quick or Normal speeds. Huge maps run slowest, especially as I increase the number of civs and the ages advance. Barbarian frequency didn't seem to affect gameplay, except that they can get really insane. Really.

Videos can be choppy, and some videos don't synch with their sound. Occaisionally, there is a rendering error for wonder videos in the first second, but it clears up and the video continues.

I've also noted that the tech tree does not always update when you start a new game/new civ from the Main Menu. If I am Greece and then switch to a game as Rome, it still shows the Phalanx as my UU.

Ctrl-T [Tile map] and F5 [Military Advisor] still take about 30 - 60 seconds to load. Sometimes F9 [Demographics] takes about two seconds to load. I haven't used World Builder with these drivers and settings yet.

I hope this was more information than you needed. OK, not really.
            An nescis, mi fili, quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
            -- Axel Oxenstierna, Swedish chancellor (1612-1654)

Comment

I build my own systems -- and it is time for an upgrade. Currently running AMD 9800 TBird, nVidia 4200ti Windows 2000. I expected slow -- i got nothing.
              There is no .ini file -- but it looks like that is created after the game runs. Loaded in on my laptop, HP ze4800, it is a Celeron, so i rally expected slow. It ran out of the box and was slow. But no maps at all -- just everything on black background. Leaderheads also do not show-- just the moving eyes and mouth. At least the game ran. Full game, no crashes.

I still have no idea why it cannot see the CD on the desktop.

Comment

I underclocked my graphics card using rage 3d and turned up the fan speed with ATI tool and it worked with the latest drivers

Comment

Working...
                X