Question about map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linkhan
    I had the same interpretation problem as well.
    Being used to the old minimap that was the actual size of the world, it's actually only the size of your known areas.

I haven't tried Ctrl-W, but the original impression left me thinking I wouldn't see more than 10 cities on a standard map.

interesting . . . . . .
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I have to agree with Solver's friend. I was really disappointed in the size of the map that I got when I selected huge. I had the exact same situation he describes, except for me it was 7 civilizations in the first 10 minutes. On the previous versions of Civ I always played on huge maps and expected it to take 20 to 30 hours to complete a game. Last night with a huge map, 11 civs counting me, with all the rest of the default settings, the game was done in under 3.5 hours!! Come on people, I didn't want to run a small game, I asked for a HUGE game.

Comment

3.5 hours? That must have been because you're new to the game .

No, really, even on Standard maps, 7 hours is the quickest I've ever finished a game. Also, try the Epic mode, that really makes longer games.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by rek0204
          I have to agree with Solver's friend. I was really disappointed in the size of the map that I got when I selected huge. I had the exact same situation he describes, except for me it was 7 civilizations in the first 10 minutes. On the previous versions of Civ I always played on huge maps and expected it to take 20 to 30 hours to complete a game. Last night with a huge map, 11 civs counting me, with all the rest of the default settings, the game was done in under 3.5 hours!! Come on people, I didn't want to run a small game, I asked for a HUGE game.
          Did you lose early in the game...?
          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

You will not see the entire map unless you REVEAL EVERY TILE.. otherwise you'll see what is near your civ and no more.

Comment

Size of Civ4 maps compared with Civ3

Look, I entered the WorldBuilder and roughly counted the number of tiles from top to bottom and from left to right, and it seems that the size of Civ4's LARGEST maps is PUNY!! The so-called 'Huge' Terra map is no greater that 60x70 tiles!!

The hugest map in Civ3 (called 'Tierra 362 el mencey')
              was 380x380 I believe. Well, I opened that up for the 'ultimate' comparison, and found that Civ4's biggest map would only comfortably fit the area of Australia in the Tierra map.

OK, I know that that Tierra map was just enormous, maybe TOO big even, and that many of the Good Civ 3 earth maps were more like 180x180, but even so: the Civ4 maximum size is JUST TOO SMALL IMO. The fact that people now are bumping into other civs nanoseconds after founding their first city takes away , I believe, from the spooky experience you used to have in Civ3 of settling into your space and wondering what was over the hill, then after conquering a nascent empire looking over vast continents wondering if you would ever rule there one day..

But it seems that a Journey has become a Walk Down The Block!

I only hope that the patch or some future update will fix this. OK, I don't expect a return to the 380x380s, and I CAN see that there is sooo much more packed into the new delicious-looking tiles and cityscapes. But I think that the game needs maps that give the game room to feel global, not just regional.
              A christian once asked my atheist self: "so WHAT exactly do you believe in?!". I replied: "us"!

Look left and look right, NOT upwards, for the answers (if there are any...)

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                The Huge map is quite huge. Anyway, if you want an even bigger map, you can always change some files to get your map to a monstrous size.
                I counted the tiles on a huge map and unless I counted wrong, the huge map is 105 by 65. Civ 3, 160 X 160. Civ 2 was 120 X 75
                Last edited by Joseph; November 18, 2005, 23:02.

Comment

Just in case anyone doesnt know...

If you havent entered the cheat code "Chipotle" in the INI file, when you enter the worldbuilder, you will not see the entire map.

Could be why some of you are thinking a huge map is smaller than it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X