Civilopedia? Thumbs up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilopedia? Thumbs up or down?

Since I dont have the game yet I've been reading every bit of info I can get.

Ive read some disturbing things on CivFan about the Civilopedia not being up to par, ie. no alphabetical lists, incorrect info in some respects and some entries with no information.

Can anyone who has the game comment on the civilopedia?

The new CivPedia is not up to snuf. It's also missing a few entries...
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Not only that most of it is in icon form with bare information popup when you hover your mouse of it. It also has no ability to right click and get specific information about an object like you are able to in CIII. Definitely not userfriendly in design either, everything is blocked to close together for my liking.

Definitely have to give CIV Civilopedia a D...

Comment

Thumbs down. Especially for Catherine II's bio entry. Apparently, she was super-cool for sleeping with everyone in sight, as the 'pedia alludes to.

Other than that, the icons are a pain, and there is no quick referencing, which is a must.
        alisonblaire.com

Comment

The mouse over popups are awesome, the civiopedia is not an improvement. I found it really confusing to navigate and find things, especially in my first game.
          "What a Stupid Concept"

Comment

Thumbs sideways. I hardly ever refer to the civilopedia in any Civ game. SMAC might have been the exception since everything had "futuristic" names that didn't translate easily into what they would do in the game.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

its ok but nothing toi write home about. I used it several times over my 14 hour marathon session yesterday and did not find it particularly helpfull.

For basic stuff its fine, if you want clarification on any finer points forget it.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

After searching around the screen for 5 minutes to find the icon that opens the civilopedia, I opened it and BAMM thousand icons jumped at me.. I couldn't close it quick enough to get a real shock from it... I definately won't open it again. I think this deserves a

I've noticed already that the game is based too much on icons and too little on text.. in the city screen choosing what to build is so frustrating sometimes... ofc I think that will go all away, but I have to note, that the learning curve makes a very sharp rise right in the beginning due to all these icons.

As of a short quick game that I aborted still quite in the middle I'd have to say: Civ4

Comment

Halfway through my first game. Haven't found it yet, so I don't know about my thumb direction yet.

Comment

Hrm this is the only area of the game I have complaints about. Personally I'd rather just have a good, standard help system with an awesome search engine built into it. I hate trying to ascertain what an icon is.

Comment

It's incomplete, ill-organized with just the minimum of info. Keep the manual handy.
                      Jim Cobb

Comment

The lack of an alphabetical list is really bad, when you want to find for example what you need to construct a unit, like what you need for ironclads or galleons. Took me way too long to find the right entries from the icon list Luckily I don't refer to Civilopedia that often and the popups are almost as good, but this is certainly something that hasn't changed for the better.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I've always used the Civlopedia a lot and the new one seems to be a large step back from Civ III--significantly clunkier to use (especially from the tech tree) and sparser, less helpful information. And it still (apparently) lacks accessibility from the city screen, which should be a no-brainer. I'm willing to suspend final judgment though until I'm more familiar with the game.
                          I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.

Comment

The civilopedia is poor in Civ4. It's not very well designed (too many icons) and it's not crossreferenced. You have to navigate back to the main civilopedia menu, then navigate to whatever else you want to see. This makes finding certain information take much longer than it should.

Definite thumbs down.

The rest of the game is really good, though.

Comment

yeah, to the civlopedia

the icons suck... I can't tell what is what, I have to hover over everything to try and find what I want

it is not intuitive and stuff (especially buildings) is not alphabetical I don't think... it seems to be alphabetical, but then the wonders seem to get meshed in with other buildings and everything is screwed up!!!

Also, it would be nice if there was a section in the options that explained what all the hotkeys were.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X