Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't return it yet, trust me...

All,

Please take my word on this. I had the same Radeon rendering issues yesterday and by some stroke of luck I got it ironed out. Now that I can play, I have become COMPLETELY immersed, trying to learn new stuff, etc. etc.

Life as I know it is again ruined, much like it was with Civ1 and Civ3. In fact, upon hearing about my successes in fixing the rendering issue, my fiance asked me if she'd see me sometime before Xmas LOL.

And I can't even begin to detail how much better (IMHO) this game is than its predecessors. It's like me comparing my golf game vs. Tiger's, it'd be futile. So just be patient (well, more patient than I was hehe), and let them work it out. You'll thank me in the morning, when you're still playing the darn thing.

Re: Don't return it yet, trust me...

Originally posted by Traelin
    All,

Please take my word on this. I had the same Radeon rendering issues yesterday and by some stroke of luck I got it ironed out.
    I'm going to be the only person to calmly and rationally ask that you post exactly what you did.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Re: Don't return it yet, trust me...

Originally posted by Inverse Icarus I'm going to be the only person to calmly and rationally ask that you post exactly what you did.
      I have a Dell with an X850 XT PE, so my situation was very unique. In fact, I wasn't going to try and install ATI's drivers, because I've heard problems about Windows MCE and issues with some of those drivers. So my situation was a crapshoot at best...I downloaded and installed the latest Dell drivers, checked for the DX DLL in SYSTEM32, checked the timestamps on my DX files, rebooted and crossed my fingers.

If you wanna see exactly what I did, I posted it in the official Render thread, but I don't think it would help you. And I REALLY REALLY wish I could help you, because I'm one of those weird ppl that give very anal step-by-step "how-tos".

IMHO, I'd try to get the latest drivers from your PC manufacturer before you go off to ATI. Dell has them, and I'd bet that most of the other ones do, too. It wouldn't hurt, and it just may fix your problems. And as I said in the other thread, I installed an older driver version than what Soren has been mentioning. I installed 6.14.10.6525 I think, which is from way back in late March 2005.

Comment

Ah, but I have a homebrew box. No one to grab drivers from.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

You can still update the drivers for whatever your motherboard and chipset are.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Inverse Icarus
            Hrm...man I wish I could help you. I'd say give it another 48-72 hours and see what happens in terms of a definite hotfix. At that point, use your best judgment. But trust me, it's worth the wait. I've had absolutely no problems after the rendering issue, not one.

Comment

Originally posted by Inverse Icarus
              Hmm, so who bought the parts and put the box together? If you have some weird "off brand" version of video card there's no way to know if the ATI drivers work or not.

Sounds like you need to go do some research and talk to whoever bought and built your box for help in making sure you have the newest drivers for all your hardware, not just the video card. CD/DVD ROM as well if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandous
                Sounds like you need to go do some research and talk to whoever bought and built your box for help in making sure you have the newest drivers for all your hardware, not just the video card. CD/DVD ROM as well if you can.
                ... That would be me. I built it myself.

Motherboard drivers / BIOS was updated. Video card is genuine ATI, with newest drivers. Sound is onboard, also up to date.

I did not update my DVD/RW drivers, and I really don't see the point in that.

Comment

Just in case:

You did use the DirectX install that came with the game right? Some files in thatn that aren't (yet?) in the standard DirectX9.0c edition.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Every person posting this problem on Apolyton has tried to use the DX9 installed on the Civ4 DVD. It doesn't work; if you already had DX9.0c, it doesn't appear to copy any new files to your registry. It's time to put that one to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by RickJay
                      Every person posting this problem on Apolyton has tried to use the DX9 installed on the Civ4 DVD. It doesn't work; if you already had DX9.0c, it doesn't appear to copy any new files to your registry. It's time to put that one to rest.
                      I don't think it's as simple as the Civ DX9 install not working. I mean maybe that's *part* of the problem for some ppl, but it wasn't for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X