You gotta be kidding me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkstar
    There's a lot of Apolyton regulars who are also having issues. And both those with and without issues are taking time to drop by and post.
    over 1100 unique registered users visited in the last 24 hours

45 people posted in Trip's "Possible Fixes" thread
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

In the poll over in the Civ4 general forum, the poll of "broken yes/no" is currently about even between those that have bothered to respond. I presume that a lot more people aren't having issues then are (because that's generally how software works ). I just wonder how many of the total that have Civ4 already and have tried it, what the percentage is of can't play or can't for long versus a more entertaining experience that amounts to. I'd expect on this forum Civver, that about 20% of those with it have reported back in. It's a presumption on my part, but I was hoping to see a much higher "Mine works great! Now what should I do about X?" sort of response.

It doesn't really worry me at this time. But, I'd like to see a lot more "Hurrays!" to clear out any future worries.
      -Darkstar
      (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Not sure wether to get this now, was planning to. But i have an ATI card as well, and dont want to splash out on something that doesnt work.

Comment

Best thing to do is wait a couple of days, or just risk it

The 9800 series don't seem to have problems, don't think so anyway.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't think anyone is denying that there is a compatibility issue with ATI cards, but given that less than 5% of users who visited yesterday posted about problems, it's not that huge.

What makes me happy is that so far no critical bugs have been discovered in the gam itself (once you're playing, that is). Civ3 had a ton of those, and that was what really sucked.

And it looks like people who have the sense to buy nVidia aren't affected .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              over 1100 unique registered users visited in the last 24 hours

45 people posted in Trip's "Possible Fixes" thread
              But one of them is me! Uber KruX!

Surely I count for a truckload of newbies!
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It's interesting. I NEVER post here, just sometimes lurk and read. But I want to get the word out that to assume only a 'few dozen' forum members are affected is folly. For every one of us that have this problem ( and yes, I too have been unable to start this game despite following all suggestions), there are plenty that never post, and plenty of people in the general public that are tearing their hair out in frustration now and just don't know where to go. This is a big problem. And I think Firaxis gets that. For some reason, though, gaming sites have focused on the French Tech Tree as the big 'problem' (even though one could still play the game with the French tech tree unless, oops, they have a common ATI card) while ignoring this more serious issue.

I love Firaxis, I'm sure they're horrified by this. But I don't think minimizing the problem is appropriate. This is widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  I don't think anyone is denying that there is a compatibility issue with ATI cards, but given that less than 5% of users who visited yesterday posted about problems, it's not that huge.

What makes me happy is that so far no critical bugs have been discovered in the gam itself (once you're playing, that is). Civ3 had a ton of those, and that was what really sucked.
                  As one of those with a Radeon 9600 and not being able to play, I have to agree that I'd rather have some problem like this than having the game crash during aerial bombardments. It's just bad luck, in this case.

Comment

Again, I'm not saying that there isn't a problem, but if we look at how many people out of those who were on the forums posted about their problems, then it's pretty clear that the problem exists, but isn't really horrible as in affecting every second or third person.

At least a compatibility issue like this can be resolved, it appears that it can be resolved even without a patch, by installing the proper drivers for this game. I would myself also rather have this issue than non-functional Air units (vanilla Civ3), random declarations of war because I move into a square with enemy sub (vanilla Civ3) or the AI all too willing to give me cities (vanilla Civ3).

Comment

given that less than 5% of users who visited yesterday posted about problems, it's not that huge
                      This is funny to me. If about 5% of people who bought Halo 2 on launch day COULDN'T RUN THE FREAKIN' GAME, there would be rioting in the streets. If one in 20 consumers can't run your game, it *is* huge.

Comment

Many of those problems were indeed solved.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It's ATI who should be blamed .

Remember the Half-Life 2 release? Initially, at least 50% of the people seemed to be affected by the horrible stutter bug.

Comment

At least I'm getting time to read the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                              Remember the Half-Life 2 release? Initially, at least 50% of the people seemed to be affected by the horrible stutter bug.
                              I wish civ4 was stuttering horribly
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Man, my first post is going to be disagreeing with the people who run the place, bad precident...

I don't have the metrics in front of me to state one way or the other how widespread the problem is, but the card issues are on one of the most popular models of card for the #2 graphics card company in the world. I'm pretty sure you can count on a ton more than 24 people having this problem. Most just don't have anything to offer, but are anxiously awaiting a fix. I'd hate to return my game out of spite, but I too am annoyed.

Also, if civ had official company forums, they'd probably be getting killed right now, but it takes a bit of work to figure out where everyone posts for these kinds of issues. Hopefully we'll have some developments shortly, and get this all squared away. Kudos to those with more patience than I have

Comment

Working...
                                X