Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Cards: Type II, AGP and PCI HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Cards: Type II, AGP and PCI HELP!!

Okay, so I figured out I'm going to get the cheshire cat/black map problem due to my Intel Integrated chip (not T&L enabled).

My desktop is a relic I don't want to put any more money into.

My laptop is relatively new, Toshiba Satellite M35XS329.

It has a slot I can add one PC Card to, and the guide says it'll take any "Type II" card.

Can someone tell me wha a type II card is? Will AGP cards work in this slot?

I'm looking at the GeForce6200 or GeForce6600 - both of which I hear will run Civ4 no problems.

I won't be able to buy the card for a while (saving for a new car), but I'm a patient man . . . if I just knew what the hell (if anything) I can buy to put in the damn laptop to make the game (which I have ordered but not received) work!!

Any help 'preciated.

Meantime it's back to the hollow men on Pirates! for me.

Unfortunately, laptops are not as upgradable (if at all) as desktops. If you were even able to upgrade, you'd have to get a special laptop version, and those are gonna cost you extra, and still be weaker than normal desktop versions.

Comment

Think I may be SOL - looks like it could take a sound card but not a video card, right or wrong?

Comment

Type II probably refers to a Compact Flash card, I've never heard of that designation for anything else (though I am not a techie by any stretch...). If that's the case I have no idea what sorts of things are useable in those slots but I would feel very confident in saying that a modern 3D video card for laptops is not one of them.

Comment

Hmm, not sure, actually. I really really doubt that any port on your laptop will take any conventional desktop PCI/AGP cards, such as video or sound cards to name the biggest. It's just the way a card would plug in, desktop cards are made to stand up, not squished in, especially in a laptops puny size.

There are specially made cards for laptops, which sounds like that's what the port is for. But ports like that are usually something small, like network adapters or extra USB ports.

Comment

That's what I found out.

Sound Cards, Input and Output
            VGA

Those are listed as available devices, as well as a docking station, of which I found one that has a built in video card . . . with a whooping great 8MB memory.

Oh well.

Back to the drawing board!!

Comment

Working...
            X