QA? Glue on install cd's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QA? Glue on install cd's?

I've just ran the guantlet trying to find a copy of civilization 4, which I picked up at a local Best Buy.

As soon as I place the cd in my system, windows explorer [the GUI not the web browser] locks up until I eject the disk.

It turns out that there's some sort of glue or resin crap along the out of edge of the installation cd.

Amazing. I've brought thousands of discs worth of cd's, dvd's and computer software and this is the first case I've seen anything like this out of a new package [except for a case of layer seperation on an aliens dvd box set I picked up 2 years ago]

Now I have to wait until tomorrow to exchange the game, unless someone has any advice on how to remove glue or resin from a cd surface .

soap and water.

i removed permanent ink from a Fifa 2002 cd that way. Still works like a charm.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I tried soap an water, fantasktik, windex, some really nasty stuff called bam, no dice, I'm startting to think its a rub mark or something, it looks really bizzare. I can feel it when I rub my fingernail across it, its above the surface of the cd, it must have been a bad disc.

No civ 4 for me tonight.

Comment

did you also apply pressure to it? with a cloth or paper towel? Try to rub it off?
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Better not mess too much with it, not to loose your warranty. Not worth it for just the one day...hmm, well maybe it is.
          Just get another CD tomorrow.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Indeed.

I just packaged up the box, I'll return it to best buy tomorrow during my lunch break. And I'll open the exchanged copy to make sure that cd is ok.

I tried all sorts of cleaning agents and various cloths and rags and my finger nail to try to remove it.

It looks like rub marks, I guess the duplication machine or packing machine the publisher used had a screwup. Very odd.

I guess QA at Take 2 is ... well.. butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zovreign

I tried all sorts of cleaning agents and various cloths and rags and my finger nail to try to remove it.
              Probably better not to tell the store that...
              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Well...well...well look who found his way back all of a sudden.

Good to see you mate, don't be such a stranger!!
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hi

Sadly, Civ4 won't run on my PC and I can't afford an upgrade so I won't be very active in posting about the game. I'll certainly be lurking around the strat forum, though. And if GS reforms I'll be hanging out there too.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

See http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=140634

Seems like there are a lot (relatively speaking) of bad disks floating around. The QA/reproduction team at take2 really dropped the ball on this one I think. Too bad. I am still trying to exchange my preorder copy

Comment

Originally posted by Zovreign
                      Indeed.

I just packaged up the box, I'll return it to best buy tomorrow during my lunch break. And I'll open the exchanged copy to make sure that cd is ok.
                      Nice theory but visible inspection will not pick up the corrupt files on some of the play disks, which halt instalation at about 95% complete. IT seems buying this game is a crap shoot. 2K needs some serious penance for their quality control.

Comment

Working...
                      X