Many problems getting started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many problems getting started.

ATI X800 PCI Express. Latest (yes, really) drivers.
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card with latest drivers.
    ASUS P4 motherboard. 1GB RAM.

After many issues getting the game installed, I now find that, on load, I get to the earth screen and the only thing I see is the earth and the title. NO menu items to choose from.

The only way out for me is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and close the task.

I once got lucky, hit some invisible menu item and heard, "Hi, my name is Sid--Welcome to Civ IV". I then saw the 4 guys in purple and 3 cows. I managed to move the screen around and triggered an overlay showing the numeric keyboard keys pointing to where I could move. I hit 1/End key and the game locked.

2K Games phone support is a dead end. IF you don't get immediately in, you'll wait 10 or 20 minutes to be told to call back in 24 hours.

Same Issue - different card - maybe a driver problem for me - am going to check -- can anyone say it is?

system Specs:
    Win 2k Service pak 4
    2.6 GHZ CPU
    1 Gig RAM
    256 MG NDVIDIA GeForce Fx 5900 XT
    VGA Driver Version: 6.14.10.5672
    "What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

Comment

I know this is unrelated, but couldn't you only get that fatal1ty SB card from at Qcon itself?

Comment

A) No. The card is now available at various retailers.

B) I'm the author of the official Sound Blaster book series so even if it wasn't available, that wasn't going to be a problem.

Comment

Updated my drivers - all works well
          "What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

Comment

dang, well, was kinda hoping I'd met another Qcon enthusiast.

Cheers anyway, and GL with your prob.

Comment

Thanks. Not a huge Quake fan but still an SB fan.

Comment

Not a big quake fan myself (though Q4 is very good), can't turn down a free 4000+ person 72 hour LAN party with free giveouts all the time.

Comment

My dad had this same problem. Once he updated his drivers, everything worked fine for him.

Comment

Yeah, I tried that. I finally have one system where the game works and that's on one of my Alienware laptop's with an X800 Mobility. Meanwhile my PC is an X800. Go figure.

I may try out Omega drivers again. I passed on them a while back but may revisit it to see if they might help.

Comment

Working...
                    X