[news] Rave Reviews on Metacritic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [news] Rave Reviews on Metacritic

The review-collection site Metacritic has only collected 4 reviews so far (Yahoo, IGN, 1UP, and EuroGamer), but they're currently assessing Civ4 as a 92/100.
    That makes it the highest-rated game on the "recent releases" section. If the rating holds, it will enter a big tie for 15th-best-rated computer game of all time, just 2 points below Civ II (which is #4 all time).
    Esquire

moo3 got rave reviews too.

not that it means anything. just saying. . .
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Just so you know, the only reason it didn't get higher reviews, was because of the fact that it didn't ship with the 'persistant pit-boss' MP option and the MOD tools that Firaxis 'promised' would ship with the game. I don't doubt that these things were left out to move up the ship dates and will be included in a future patch, but it did dissappoint quite a few fans and reviewers of the game.

I don't have it yet, but as soon as I get my next paycheck I'll probably start my 2-3 month stint of sleep deprevation. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's... I think by the time I hit the second week of January I'll probably take a couple of weeks off and do NOTHING but play Civ IV. (OK, I might have to take a few 'pottie breaks' )

Comment

AFAIK there never was a delay with the SDK, they always said they would release it seperately. It sort of gives them a way out as now, they don't have to officially support it. (and every bug created because of badly written code by the community )
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Some seriously good stuff, it's currently ahead of such big releases as FEAR, Quake4 and AoE3.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Rripperr
            the MOD tools that Firaxis 'promised' would ship with the game.
            No mod tools were left out. Just the SDK and BMP converter, but those were always going to be released later.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Rripperr
              Just so you know, the only reason it didn't get higher reviews, was because of the fact that it didn't ship with the 'persistant pit-boss' MP option and the MOD tools that Firaxis 'promised' would ship with the game.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a single review citing any of those points as negatives.

Comment

Pitboss wasn't promised to be shipped with the game either ...
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Frankly, I'm more interested in what the Apolyton community has to say than any reviewer does.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                    moo3 got rave reviews too.

not that it means anything. just saying. . .
                    According to Metacritic, they got 64/100. Civ4 could end up like that with a few trash reviews, but I am getting the feeling that no one is about to do that.
                    Esquire

Comment

Wow. Seven reviews now in and the Metascore went UP to 94!
                      Esquire

Comment

Whooo Prince, what a low blow! Whatever happened to MOO3 anyway?

"Some seriously good stuff, it's currently ahead of such big releases as FEAR, Quake4 and AoE3." -- Solver

I think the big difference here is that TakeTwo allowed the game designers to design the game.

With MS games and others too, I increasingly get the feeling that marketing departments are dictating how the games are put together -- with the result that they are not very good games. Big releases, yes; good games, no.

Comment

Working...
                        X