Failed Loading XML...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Loading XML...

Everytime I go to load the game I get a series of errors based around the XML files.

Example...

Failed Loading XML file xml\text\civ4gametextinfos.xml

...then it will issue a bunch of errors similar to that with a different name.

specs - 2.4 rig
    1gig of Ram
    GeForce6 6600GT most updated drivers

update: It gives me the following response also:

Reason: Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported.
    Last edited by OnlyMaestro; October 26, 2005, 17:28.

Wild guess: are you running a non-standard keyboard layout?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I do use a ZBoard, but the Configuration is Standard Microsoft Windows/Internet Explorer.

I've been checking around the files in the folders of Civ IV themselves, but have been hesitant to change anything without first consulting the forums here.

Comment

Well, you do have those files, right?

What's your Language/Regional settings? US English, or something else?

Comment

US English.

It's strange because the loading into the game seems to ignore these errors, and continue with game load, but the text on the menu/game screen is all messed up. I will try and get a screenshot of it and post it here for example.

Also after noticing...I do have the required XML files in the main CivIV folder -- in the folder the game creates for you in your My Documnets/My Games/... the XML folder in there is empty, it has other folders in it, all are empty as well.

I'm stumped by the this command:

"Failed Loading XML file xml\text\civ4gametextinfo.xml

Reason: Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported."

EDIT:
          I decided to check out the CD's themselves, and noticed on CD2 in Windows Explorer the "data3" was in WinRAR format, I tried exploring it to see if there were fresh XML files in that and recieved the error "File is either damaged or in incorrect format."

Comment

The files should be in the Civ4 folder under Program Files, not under My Games, I'm pretty sure.

Given that the game complains about encodings, though, I really can't imagine what to blame except, well, encodings. You don't seem to have some non-standard keyboard or regional settings, though.

Comment

Yeah at this point I don't even know what my options are. Except I guess returning it to the store. :/

Comment

Anyone else have suggestions?

Comment

Still hoping for any information out there.

Comment

/bump hoping to get possible Firaxis notice

Comment

A good practice is to always specify the correct encoding inside the XML declaration, rather than accepting the default encoding.
                      Suggests that the error may occur using a MSXML 2.5/2.5SP1/2.6 encoder, but might work under 3.0 encoder. Includes link to XML downloads, which includes 3.0 SP5 which might be worth a shot.

download, software, update, Microsoft, product, computer, PC, Windows, Office, server, MSN, Live, game, Xbox, security, driver, install, trial, preview, demo, popular

Comment

The above post sounds very promising...I will give it a whirl whenever I get a chance.

Comment

I am having the same problem, any solution yet?

Comment

Working...
                          X