Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JFJohnny5

My system is an Athlon 64 3000+ with 1Gb RAM and ATI X800XL AGP. Did NOT work on this one.

My brother has a Dual Xeon (yes, Xeons...he works IT and got them cheap), not sure of clock speed, with 2 Gb RAM and an ATI X700 PCI-X. It DID work here.

Obviously this is not a good lab test, as there are so many variables. But notice they're both ATI cards, mine was AGP, his was PCI-X. Can anyone confirm evidence along those lines??
    mine is a ATI x 700 (256Mg on Board) AGP and does not work with an AMD Athlon 2.2 and 768 Mb RAM

Comment

• Forgive me, I believe I know better than you whether Firaxians are working on a solution or not.

Also, if you look around, you will notice that a couple of solutions have been proposed, and that several people have reported these solutions working for them. Given that Firaxis only found out about these problems when you guys started posting here, I would say that this isn't a bad result.

Yes, the problem itself is a mess. But the job being done to fix it is good.

Also,

there is no reason why when you own a rig capabale of running any graphically intense game presently on the market that this game should not run.

Exactly. Any rig that runs any graphically intense game supports T&L, and thus is able to run Civ4. ATI cards can run Civ4, there's just this temporary problem. So unless you're saying that some people were running Doom3 on Intel Extreme Graphics Chipset 2, you're quite right.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Re: relax

Originally posted by ghostkiller2.0

I agree that this needed to be said. However, I do understand that it could be done a bit more tactfully. Sure we are having problems. BUT it was pointed out that the non-retail versions were not having the same problems. The fact that the websites have not updated I do not think is a problem with Firaxis or 2k.

The people that were working on a response (dev Team) were posting here WHERE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE PROBLEM. Also, having worked with corporate websites and the like, things take time. (also they were done with their work day when the bulk of the problems arose) They need to mind their P's and Q's with press releases and the like so take it easy. Sure we are upset, we can not play the game we love.

So give them a little time. I for one am not going to rush and return the game cause of a few bugs. That is a risk we take by buying the game on the day it comes out. Patience is a virtue, and unfortunately becoming less and less common
        unfortunately, getting a working game on release day is also less and less common. buyers should not have to take a risk when purchasing a game, these things shouldve been ironed out.

that said, nothing to do about it now except try and be helpful.

Comment

• People, try to be more patient, wait about that returning. Getting a 100% working fix, or a 98% working for that matter, isn't quite easy, and can't be done in two hours. Firaxians are now working around the clock on it, we already have instructions that let some people fix the error, I'm sure that within a couple of days the situation will improve more.
          Solver, I understand that you want to quell the rising anger of dissapointed fans, but you have a working copy (and you didn't pay $54.11 for a retail version that doesn't work).

Regardless of who's supposed to do QA or testing, the developer is the one with access to the code. I'd like to hear from someone what the log file output means (even if all I get is 'the renderer bailed cause it couldn't get a dx9 device handle'). And 2k's support is a joke, so I'm not hopeful for any help from them.

If this wasn't discovered until release, then the person responsible for writing the verification plan should be let go. If Firaxis or 2k knew about the problem, then they deserve whatever wrath we decide to dish out. It IS there job to release a product that works and work 24/7 to fix problems this big on launch day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
            Exactly. Any rig that runs any graphically intense game supports T&L, and thus is able to run Civ4. ATI cards can run Civ4, there's just this temporary problem. So unless you're saying that some people were running Doom3 on Intel Extreme Graphics Chipset 2, you're quite right.
            apparently not- my x700 256mb ATI supports hardware t&l and cant run it.

you did get me on the second half about doom 3 though; nicely done - touche.

while they may be working on a solution (ill buy you lunch at sizzlers if they get one to work successfully) none of it excuses the problems with this product. sid meiers should be ashamed to have his name on this at the moment.

just kidding about the lunch - ill be dead from trying to figure out how to get this damn thing to run.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleckLord

If this wasn't discovered until release, then the person responsible for writing the verification plan should be let go. If Firaxis or 2k knew about the problem, then they deserve whatever wrath we decide to dish out. It IS there job to release a product that works and work 24/7 to fix problems this big on launch day.

WHOA TAKE IT EASY!! Don't call for people's jobs. Think about the variety of systems we are running. Intel, AMD Athlon, various RAM settings video cards... the list goes on. Sure you can point fingers but that is not going to do any good. Instead of complaining put out your TECH specs and HELP the dev team fix it.

Comment

• yes. the head of the testing team -should- be fired. I don't care if he has a family to feed, I didn't pay $54 for nothing. If the release date is on 25th, the game should be ready at 25th. for all systems. The last time I've heard of such a wide bug was HL2 (it worked fine on this comp tho :/).

Comment

• Originally posted by BleckLord

Solver, I understand that you want to quell the rising anger of dissapointed fans, but you have a working copy (and you didn't pay $54.11 for a retail version that doesn't work).
                  QFT.

Comment

• Sure does seem odd that this basically happens to almost all ATI card users. Did Nvidia supply them with a bunch of cards so they would not let ATI cards work? That is a whole bunch of testers listed...no one has ATI?

Comment

• I am off to class but continue posting replies to my posts I will be back around 1:30 CDT (GMT - 6)

Comment

• Originally posted by jadelith
                        yes. the head of the testing team -should- be fired. I don't care if he has a family to feed, I didn't pay $54 for nothing. If the release date is on 25th, the game should be ready at 25th. for all systems. The last time I've heard of such a wide bug was HL2 (it worked fine on this comp tho :/).
                        Note that it might not be his fault.

A boatload of people are involved in software development, and more often then not the QA leads are only responsible for what they approve; if the build is one that has not been sent to QA, then it's not their fault.

Comment

• If it worked on my computer, then i wouldn't be hanging around in civ4-help forum

I don't think its almost all ati users, it should be around 5-10% of them. But still, this is absolutely unacceptable. this computer ran bw2 / hl2 / pirates .... no reason to blame my computer or me on this

Comment

• has anyone with the issue tried loading the DirectX 9.0c from MS (posted more on the other stickied thread)?

Comment

• Ah well, just returned the game. To those that preach patience, I understand what you're saying. But of equal weight is the opinion of those that bought a product with the expectation that it would work, out of the box, and are completely unaccepting of the flawed product. And right now, those two opinions are diametrically opposed.

I voted with my wallet. And as much as it pains me, I won't be buying this game for a few months, nor will I look upon any future Firaxis product without suspicion.

Comment

• my point was, the person who is in charge of the team that tested on graphics cards should be removed.

no reason to blame sid

Comment

Working...
                                X