Rumors of problems with ATi cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors of problems with ATi cards

I don't have the game yet(won't get it before Nov 4th it seems), but I do have a question that might affect me/my computer. I've heard on another site that several players with ATi cards have problems with "severe graphical glitches" or even can't get it to run. I have a ATi card, so naturally I'm a bit worried... Are there any solutions ready, or must I just pray I'll get no problems myself?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

the "failed to initialize renderer" thread on this forum is a list of people discussing problems with running the game with ATI cards.

as for me: I've 2.8 GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X800 with 256MB of RAM, and the game does not run at all. It fails during initialization.
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
    - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Oh sorry, I looked over the titles on this page before I posted, but didn't know that.

I have an ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 SE myself, I better check over at that other thread if I am in trouble... Thanks for the quiclk answer!
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 here.
        Game fails to initialize.
        -----------
        Ok, I will now try to update drivers. I will post the progress.
        Mart
        Map creation contest
        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

ATI Radeon 9200, game runs fine.

Spocko, Massachusetts
          XP SP2; 1280MB w/3200MB virtual memory
          AMD Athlon 1700+; 500W power, 2HD's
          Radeon 9600pro 256MB (Dec 2005 Catalyst)
          SoundBlaster X-Fi (8.8.05 driver)

Comment

Do you have this file on your machine:???
            C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_26.dll
            Mart
            Map creation contest

Comment

Yes, I have d3dx9_26.dll datestamped 5/26/2005 in my system32 folder.

When I placed the install disk in for the first time (to install) ATI Radeon software popped up and did something automatically, then told me to reboot. So I rebooted, once again started the Civ4 install, and it installed fine. I rebooted after installation, before trying to play the game - of course, when I tried to play, it complained that I had the wrong disc in the drive, so I swapped out the Play disc and put the Disk 1 in the drive. Nothing but pure Civ4 fun since then.
              XP SP2; 1280MB w/3200MB virtual memory
              AMD Athlon 1700+; 500W power, 2HD's
              Radeon 9600pro 256MB (Dec 2005 Catalyst)
              SoundBlaster X-Fi (8.8.05 driver)

Comment

ya know, I wish I could get confirmation that some people's ATI cards, even of the same model as all ours actually worked! But unfortunately, nobody whose game works will actually post that it really DOES, here.

Comment

Check here, where I got the problem solved:
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

Re: Rumors of problems with ATi cards

Originally posted by Nikolai
                    Are there any solutions ready, or must I just pray I'll get no problems myself?
                    I'd suggest you wait awhile until the problems are resolved. No point in spending money on the game just to find out it won't run on your system. I'm certainly not going to be in any hurry to get it, since my Radeon 9550 seems to be one of the problem cards.

Comment

my x800 Pro machine works

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by warlordship
                        ya know, I wish I could get confirmation that some people's ATI cards, even of the same model as all ours actually worked! But unfortunately, nobody whose game works will actually post that it really DOES, here.
                        My secondary machine (desktop) does an ATI Radeon 9800, 256 meg card and cIV DOES work. Using the 5.10 drivers.

My laptop has the Mobility version of the 9800 and cIV does not work. Tried the latest Dell drivers and the latest Omega drivers.

Comment

Working...
                        X