Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe view crashes my machine

Here's what happens:

Any time I zoom out to a global view or click "What's the Big Picture" (which I assume shows a global view), my machine immediately reboots, no messages, no blue screen.

Here is a description of my machine:
    Windows XP SP 2
    Custom Built with
    MSI K8N Neo4 (nforce 4) motherboard
    Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    1GB Corsair Value Ram
    MSI Radeon x800 128mb video card
    80gb Hitachi Hard Drive
    Samsung DVD/RW Drive
    17" LCD Monitor made by Batesias.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Any idea for a solution?

Things I've tried that haven't worked
    1) Downloading latest driver from ATI
    2) Turning Globe graphics quality to low, all graphics qualities to low, changing to a lower resolution.

Thanks!
    -Travis

So far I've found out:
    1) It may be that the newer drivers are actually the problem, I will try the old ones (like 6 months old)
    2) Turns out it has nothing to do with viewing the global map, it just happened coincidentally when I did that the first few times. The game actually crashes the computer (makes it restart) seemingly randomly. The only commonality I've found is that it happens when I click on something or do something, and happens very quickly afterwards (no grinding/thinking, just boom).

Any further thoughts?

Thanks!
    -Travis

Comment

Couldd you post which driver does and doesn't work? Never know it helps someone else.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Older drivers didn't change anything, crashed like 10 minutes after boot. This good news is that after I updated the drivers back to the new ones, I just ran it without problems for about 2 hours. Maybe it took care of itself?

Comment

Turns out it was my CPU overclocking. Turned it down to 5%, it works now.

Comment

Working...
          X