X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the chat log from the Release Party

Well? Where is it?
    Last edited by Akaoz; October 26, 2005, 06:55.
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

I don't have the complete log, since I turned on logging midway. Someone will have it. In the mean time, you can read some very interesting excerpts here: http://www.civilizacija.net/news.php?extend.11

Comment

Soren> senethro: excellent question! I was very conservative with Civ3, it was indeed balanced "low". SMAC in many ways is a RPG, not really a strategy game since the AI is not really capable of using all its options. I was determined that the AI in Civ3 should be able to make use of everything, but that led me down some bad roads (like no airlifting for workers! sorry, my bad!) With Civ4, I pushed myself hard to design it for humans, not for the AI. There were times MP testing really helped with this... we could implement an idea and try it out immediately, without worrying about the AI. MP vs. SP is really the wrong way to think of development. They should actually help each other!
      um, i do not get it. does civ4 AI use all its options? i mean, if you are able to try an idea in a MP game, that still does not guarantee you that AI will use it. or - does it mean that you build into AI the most successful strategies used in MP?

Comment

Soren> Civ4 is about adapting to your environment. You shouldn't choose a tech path til after some exploration...
        (nods and applaudes)
        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I think that he meant that they used MP to see what people enjoy, and then tried to make AI use it, and only threw out what AI couldn't use at all.

Civ3 was extreme in that if AI couldn't use it really well it was discarded. Not so in Civ4 (I hope).

Comment

Soren> I thought mountains were more interesting as dead terrain. There is a lot more variance in terrain in Civ4. Deserts give NOTHING. Mountains are impassible.

Ooh I missed that! Love that deserts do nothing.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              Civ3 was extreme in that if AI couldn't use it really well it was discarded.
              I disagree. The AI was bad at using the luxury slider, and I can't recall any AI-built curraghs (that is, outside the AU mod).
              "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

i think what Soren is saying "Globally" is that the way to design a game is by including MP from the beginning. Learn what you can from playing it both ways and try to implement the lessons of both into both ways of playing if that makes sense.

CIV III was designed as a SP game and MP was tacked on. No leassons were learned from MP in development.

CIV IV did that.
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                  Soren> I thought mountains were more interesting as dead terrain. There is a lot more variance in terrain in Civ4. Deserts give NOTHING. Mountains are impassible.
                  I hope this can be tweaked a tiny bit. Hopefully it can be changed so workers (and nobody else) can move onto mountains, and then take a very long time to build a road.

Anyone know if helicopters can fly over mountains?

Comment

Locutus has posted it here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=140329
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                    X