Translation of "Baba Yetu".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation of "Baba Yetu".

This is the main theme song of Civilization 4.

Yeah, I went through the trouble of translating it, because I like the song. It is not the Lords Prayer, but it is composed of the same lines of Matthew in the Bible that that prayer is derived from. Anyway this is not a rough translation, this is pretty much word for word, as good as you can get it to in English.

You can find the song here .

The translation is attached to this post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arsonide; October 25, 2005, 17:40.

Neat, just the thing I was wondering about, and here it is.

Thanks, etc!

Comment

Deleted (no longer pertinent).
      Last edited by JZ Temple; December 16, 2005, 13:07.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'd have preferred they used Ride of the Valkyries for the Civ 4 opening scenes, though.

Comment

I didn't realize it even had any meaning other than sounding pleasant. I thought it was like Sims talk :-) What language is it?

Comment

Swahili.

Comment

Hehe, it'll be interesting to see if any atheists stop playing the game because the theme song is religious.

Comment

I wonder if the decision to use the song had anything to do with the implementing of religion as a main point of the game or if it was just a coincidence to the song sounding good.
                    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Read the Civilopedia entry for the Church of Nativity. It unequivocably states that Jesus was the Son of God sent to save us from our sins.

There you go - Muslims and Torah Jews consider that a blasphemy. Obvious example of bias. Oh no! Let's not ever offend anyone.

Comment

So... Where can I find the opening movie and the official web site music? Without the sound effects and in good quality.

And Son of David is right... From the Civilopedia:

Still, the Church remains one of Christianity's holiest of places, where God's only Son and the Savior of mankind entered the world.
                        Yeah, I'd say that's pretty biased.
                        Last edited by Mylon; December 17, 2005, 21:12.
                        Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
                        Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

Comment

Originally posted by SCarton
                          Hehe, it'll be interesting to see if any atheists stop playing the game because the theme song is religious.
                          Ha! Just pretend it is untranslatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Risa

Ha! Just pretend it is untranslatable.
                            Concidering the Lord's Prayer in every church I've been to was a boring chant that was required to be memorized, I really don't care for trying to tie the english lyrics into the melody.. I just sing along in Swahili
                            ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Mylon

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty biased.
                              Doesn´t it say roughly the same about every religions holy shrine? I´m not at home now so I can´t check. But I wouldn´t be at all surprised if that was the case. Just as the game is geared towards a free market democracy instead of communism...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X